4. day one of lockdown - or the moment Lia knew

CAITLIN

The next week, it felt like everything was going to collapse on our heads. 

This morning, on March 23rd, the Prime Minister of England announced what appears to be a total lockdown - meaning that, since Australia closed its borders, I could not leave the country, neither go home. I missed training that day, giving no explanation, spending the day crying under the covers, thinking that I never before in my life experiences something as frightening as living a pandemic far from my family. 

When the doorbell rings, I stay in my bed, deciding to ignore it. My phone had been buzzing all day, but I threw it on the other side of the room so I wouldn't have to answer it. After the fifth ringing, I roll my eyes and finally get out of bed, before opening the door, ready to be in a mood with whoever took me out of my bed in that room that did not feel mine. 

As soon as I see Lia's worried face, however, I calm down. 

"Hi" the brunette says in a cute voice, staring right into my eyes. She sets her jaw, taking her time to assess what state I was in, before continuing carefully: "I'm sorry to bother you. Given what's going on today and that you didn't show up at training, I figured you might need someone right now. Can I come in?"

I couldn't be mad at her - her sweet greenish eyes are just staring at me with caution, as if she did not know whether I'd hug her or slap her. When I nod my head, however, and make way for her to come in, she seems relieved.

Once she is inside and the door is shut, I just turn toward her and say:

"Australia closed the borders" 

Lia nods.

"I've heard."

"Why are you here?" I coldly ask, before realizing she did not ask for any of it. Furthermore, she might be as worried as I am concerning the virus, so I clear out: "I mean, shouldn't you be on a flight to Switzerland right now?"

With a sad smile on her face, she just answers:

"I can't go home either."

"I'm... I'm sorry" I concede, feeling like the worst person ever right now. 

"It's okay. Actually, I'm here because I think we're both scared and lonely, so I wanted to ask you if, em... maybe, you know, you could move in with me during lockdown? I have an extra free room, and-"

"Yes" I just burst out, extremely relieved.

Lia seems surprised.

"Oh... that's a relief : I didn't want to leave you on your own during times like these..."

"Are you sure it doesn't bother you?" I ask, willing to be sure.

"Of course not: I mean, we've gotten to know each other better those past weeks, and I really don't wanna leave you on your own. So, what do you say? Pack your bags?"

"Hell yeah" I just dramatically let out, which makes Lia chuckle. 

It only takes me fifteen minutes or so to pack two suitcases, and if Lia laughs when she sees me walk down the stairs with so much in my hands, she comes to help me carry one of the suitcases. 

When we get to her place, I am amazed by the cute and Tumblr-like apartment that she owns - of course, the best part of that apartment was the space outside, where green grass and sun were waiting for us. 

The end of the day goes smoothly, and from time to time, I catch myself just getting lost in my thoughts while looking at Lia.

***

LIA

I am woken up by a sweet smell coming from the kitchen. Quickly getting on my Adidas trainings (no, I am not used to not living alone anymore just yet) I walk out of my bedroom, only to find Caitlin trying to cook some pancakes. 

I lean against the wall with a smirk on my face, before commenting:

"Your technique is quite good"

She jumps and turns around, throwing me a deadly look - she hates to be scared, from what I've heard during one of the team's last meal together before this madness began - before she just cracks a - gorgeous, uh-uh - smile.

After a while, she asks:

"Are you making fun of me?" 

"No, I am truly admiring your way of cooking pancakes" I assure her, smirking, "mine never look that good."

"Maybe 'cause you don't follow the receipt ?"

Of course she's teasing me - no, I am not the best cook whenever it comes to breakfast, but I am pretty good for the rest, which is, you know, more important all things considered. 

"I do follow it! It's just, you know, not working."

"Who knew you were so damn dramatic" Caitlin comments, before winking at me. 

I feel my heart do a summersault in my chest, but decide to ignore it: this was nothing, nothing at all. 

Realizing that I hadn't talked in too many seconds, I say:

"Maybe I should've given more thoughts about having a new roommate" 

"Aouch" the Aussie comments in a strong and dramatic accent, "I kinda deserved that. No, but seriously, consider the pancakes as a thank you for everything you're doing for me."

Blushing a tiny bit, I just smirk and declare:

"Okay then, can I try them?"

"Sure."

I take a bite on one of Caitlin's creations, and my eyes go wide: surprisingly enough, those are the best pancakes I've ever eaten in my entire life, even in fancy restaurants and brunch places... When the Australian sees my excitement, she chuckles softly. 

As I just take another bite, I exclaim:

"Holy shit, that's so good!"

Caitlin smirks, before saying:

"You don't regret having me as a roommate just yet, uh?" 

I crack a smile, as we both are amused at how easy it was to 'buy' me with food. 

"I gotta admit: you're okay."

"Okay as in average?" 

"Yeah, okay as in average."

"Then I'll have to make you change your mind, Wally."

Frowning, I just stare at her, showing no emotion but surprise on my face - am I dreaming or was that somewhat flirty? I think to myself, panicking. 

Caitlin, who senses something had gone wrong, tries to open her mout, but I beat her to it, as I just say with a weird laugh:

"Well, anyway, thank you! I should go study now."

She watches as I go back to my room, closing the door behind me - not only did Coronavirus scare the crap outta me, but it seems that I am starting to feel something for my new roommate, although I wanted to have my heart sealed. 

Setting my jaw, I sigh: I couldn't have my heart and soul broken again...