10. (part 1) the art of letting someone in

CAITLIN

A few more weeks have passed smoothly, punctuated by abnormally long puzzles, endless laughs and loads of getting to know each other. As the Prime Minister announced the end of forced quarantine for some professionals - including sports people - it meant that training was resuming today at last.

The idea of seeing our teammates again was making me feel nervous: although Leah and Jordan agreed to keep my 'relationship' - we did not put any label on us just yet - with Lia secret for now, I was scared that anyone could see on my face how hard I had fallen for her. I mean, we did a whole month just the two of us mostly, and eventually grew closer than I would've imagined me be with someone. 

Lia is - and I found that out lately - a very private person that doesn't like to be under the spotlights. Her modesty was probably, along with her sweetness and badass attitude, one of my favorite things about her. Although she did not want people to know about us yet, she would sometimes forget that herself, winking at me sweetly or laughing at my jokes, which probably raises suspicion since they're not funny, but still. 

The first morning back went on smoothly, as everybody was very happy to be out of their apartments and finally back together on the field. During lunch break, as Lia was talking with Kim and Manu about strategy or something, I sit down next to Steph and across from Lydia, as they both smile at me. 

Of course, the goalie cannot help but comment:

"Given the soft smiles Wally throws at you, I guess quarantine went on smoothly, uh?" 

I roll my eyes: I shouldn't have sent those messages on the Aussie groupe, I tell myself, full of regrets. 

Looking around to make sure nobody was listening, I just say:

"It's still very fresh, so you two better remain quiet about it..."

"Oh my God!" Steph exclaims, before lowering her voice and adding: "so something did happen, uh?!"

Rolling my eyes again, I just whisper:

"Yeah, yeah. Now, can we talk about something else?" 

"Okay" Steph says.

But Lydia, on the other hand, did not care about what I thought, as she asks:

"Sooooo, you cracked the mysterious and shy Lia Wälti's shell, didn't you?"

"So much for not talking about it, Lyds" Steph comments, half-amused, half-confused.

"I'm sorry, but they have been basically eye-fucking each other all morning long: I need details, now!" the taller girl answers, almost in a defensive tone.

Sighing, I just say (knowing damn well that she wouldn't let go that easily):

"Listen, I really like her, okay? And I don't wanna screw things up, so, please, let it go."

"Fine" Lydia says, visibly against her will. 

At the same time, laughter erupts on the other side of the room: I see Lia joke around with Leah and Kim, while Manu just stares at them, confused. All of a sudden, I realize that hiding something as important from 20+ people was stressing me out. I felt anxiety growing inside my stomach, before getting up and walking out of the room. 

When my panic attack starts, I just sit on the ground on the private toilet' floor, forgetting to lock the door behind me. After a few seconds of hyperventilating and falling into the spiral, I hear a soft voice calling me:

"... Cait?"

***

LIA