3. the last glimpses of normality

CAITLIN

I ring Leah and Jordan's apartment's doorbell, quite nervous, before Katie McCabe opens the door, a smile on her face.

"Hey, Aussie!" she exclaims in a strong accent, "come on in: you're just in time for dinner!"

Nodding my head shyly, I just thank her without a word, before entering and removing my coat. While Katie immediately walks back into the living room, from which laughs could be heard, I just take a moment before I follow her. As soon as I get in, I am reassured as familiar faces greet me with a smile: Leah and Jordan are here, of course, the older woman having her hand on Leah's leg, but they were not alone ; Katie had sat down in between Kim Little and Manuela Zinsberger, while I spot Beth Mead and Lia Wälti having a deep conversation, under the confused eyes of Danielle Van de Donk and Viviane Miedema. 

Without knowing why, my eyes just took a bit longer to get off from Lia than the others, and when she looks up - probably feeling the weight of my eyes on her - I just crack a smile, which she gives right back. 

I then proceed to sit down next to Leah, who smiles. 

"So, we're just waiting for Steph, Lydia, Jen and Lotte to get here, and then lasagna are waiting for us in the oven."

"Thanks for the invite, by the way" I shyly let out, drawing Jordan's attention, as she smirks and responds:

"Caitlin, we don't fucking hate you, meaning: you're on our team now, and we consider you as our friend. Got it?"

Blushing a little - mostly because a heavy silence had fallen after Jordan somewhat spoke louder than before - I just nod.

"Got it."

"Jeez, Jords" Leah comments, visibly annoyed by her girlfriend's behavior, "leave her alone! It's hard enough coming into a new team as it is."

"You've got like zero sensibility mate" Beth comments, amused. 

"Fuck off" Jordan just comments.

As some girls burst into laughter, I just crack a sincere smile, before the conversations continue. From time to time, I'd let my eyes slip on Lia, who was still in a deep conversation, as I myself was talking with Katie and Lydia, who were turning their backs on the Swiss. She doesn't look at me once, and soon I get confused as of why I couldn't take my eyes away from her and just ignore her. 

When the last guests finally arrive under Jordan's sassy comments, she, Leah and a few other girls go to the kitchen to help with the lasagnas, while I find myself still sitting on the couch with Katie and Beth. Lia, on the other hand, had gotten up, visibly preoccupied by the phone call she is currently having on the balcony. 

The Irish woman just randomly says:

"So, Caitlin, we don't know shit about you just yet: you like it here?"

Smirking, I just answer:

"It's too cold for me, but apart from that, it's fine so far. I'm just trying to find my marks."

"You're gonna fall in love with that place, trust me" Katie says, nodding her head. She then turns toward Beth, then adding: "Or maybe you'll fall in love with more than just London, given the huge Tinder this team seems to be... if you're into that, I mean."

"Into that?" I ask, confused.

Beth rolls her eyes.

"Katie is referring to the amount of couple on the team, openly mocking me" the blonde explains, smirking. 

Slightly blushing, I just say:

"Nah, relationships aren't my thing" 

"At least you live in peace girl" Katie comments, smirking.