8.

"Ready?"

Russia stepped out into the hall and looked at America worriedly.

"You can always change your mind. Just let me know if you want to turn back."

Russia nodded and then turned to look down the hall. Today is the day he will finally see the outside world again. He just needs to gather the courage to get to the exit.

"Whenever you're ready?"

At first he hesitated but decided to make a step forward. One after another. Slowly and carefully.

America walked right beside him, picking up his pace so he could keep up with him.

"See? Everything is fine. You're doing great."

Russia looked down at him and gave him a small smile. But as they reached the end of the hall Russia stopped.

"What's wrong?"

Russia ignored him and sniffed the air. He could sense someone's scent floating in the air.

"Hey."

He looked down at America, who was trying to get his attention.

"It's okay. They are all outside. There's no one in this facility except you and me."

Russia nodded his head and kept on walking. He can't give up now. He's so close to finally seeing the outside world again.

In less than a minute they reached the large metal door, which was the only thing separating them from the cold and the snow.

America stepped forward and opened the door. Cold wind slipped inside, brushing against their skin.

"There we go. You made it."

Russia wiggled his tail and jumped outside. His feet sank in the snow as he stepped on it. He jumped around, rolling over and digging through the snow, throwing himself in it over and over again.

America couldn't help but laugh. Seeing his old friend so happy made his heart warm up. Somewhere, in the deepest parts of him memory, he could still hear his happy laughter and remember how happy they were back when they were just kids.

'Sir, we're on our positions. Is everything going by plan?'

He pressed the small device in his ear.

"I don't know. Why don't you check for yourself?"

There was nothing but silence coming from the other side for a couple of seconds. When the device turned on again America could hear a soft and short laugh.

'We did it boys. The bird is finally out of it's cage. Well done.'

America smiled to himself, not paying too much attention on what's happening around him. Well, not  until he got knocked over.

He pushed the snow off of his face. Once he could see the light of the day again he noticed a figure standing above him.

Russia was looking down at America. He was so excited that he finally saw the outside world again that he didn't pay much attention to what he was doing. He just swung his tail to the side, it reached the snow and a lot of it ended up flying through the air.

America laughed at his worried face and sighed. He picked himself up, pretending that he was angry. He kneeled down and made himself a snowball.

"This means war!"

He threw the snowballs at Russia and hit him right between his eyes. America then ran away laughing. Russia, once realizing that this was just a game, went after him.