12.

America walked down the hall, making his way back to the cafeteria. The tape was in his hand, tightly squeezed. With his other hand he was dragging a table with a TV on it. First he's going to prove to everyone that, unlike them, he knows better than to let fear control him. That he knows better than to judge a book by its cover. And once he proves that Russia is innocent he will beat the shit out of that traitor if he has to until he tells him who's behind all of this.

The voice from that call echoed through his head. The more he thought about it the more familiar it sounded.

"Sir?"

America looked at the man standing a couple meters in front of him. He stopped and gave him an angry look.

"What is it?"

"We treated the soldier. He's doing okay now. Do you want me to help you with that?"

"Thank you for informing me about his condition. And yes, thank you."

America let go of the table, allowing the man to take on from there.

"I know I shouldn't be asking Sir, but what do we need this TV for?"

"You'll find out soon. Is everyone else in the cafeteria?"

"All except for our medical team and two soldiers guarding the medical department."

"Who sent them there?"

"The Captain did."

America smiled to himself. Thankfully he wasn't the only one who noticed that something was off.

Once in front of the cafeteria he pushed the door open and all the muttering between the people there stopped immediately.

All eyes were on him now. Confusion and fear filled the air, causing him slight discomfort. But not enough for him to show it.

He indicated to the man to bring the TV closer and as he did he placed in the tape.

Not even bothering to say anything, he pressed play and stepped to the side.

He stayed quiet, carefully watching their reactions as they watched. The fear slowly turned to disbelief and anger.

Once the video stopped playing he took out the cassette and placed it on the table before turning back to look at them.

"I guess things are clear to you now. Any questions?"

A single hand was raised from the crowd.

"Yes?"

"May we kill him?"

Everyone started talking at once, agreeing about how they should kill that man. America laughed softly and shook his head. He raised his arm and everyone went quiet again.

"No, we won't do that. We're better than that. I myself am not sure what to do with him, but let's wait until he gets back from the medical department. Until then everyone act like you don't know anything. We can't risk him figuring out that we know what happened because then he'll try to run away. We need more information from him. He is definitely not the only one who wants the creature we protect dead. Someone else is standing behind all of this and we need to know who."

Just then the strange yet familiar voice echoed through his head once again.

He stopped for a second, thinking things through. As much as he knows no one is aware about Russia except him and Soviet. No other country leader or civilian, except his men, know about it. Which doesn't make any sense. Soviet wouldn't try to kill his own son, he's maybe cruel and merciless but not that much. So the only logical explanation is that there is someone else who knows. But who?

---------------------------------------------

"How are you feeling, soldier?", America asked, easily hiding the disgust he fealt once seeing the face of that traitor.

"Could be better. I really made a mess, didn't I?", he said laughing nervously.

"Sure did", America said as he faked a smile.

"I should've been more careful around that creature. Maybe I triggered it somehow?"

"Well, I wasn't there so I don't know what happened," he said, encouraging him to keep on talking.

"I myself don't remember much. Must've hit my head as I fell."

"Maybe we can check the surveillance cameras?", America said, luring him into a trap.

"O-oh, I totally forgot about those."

"Well, I didn't. I went to check them."

The soldier started showing signs of fear.

"And what did you see?"

America waited for a sec, observing. Not too long, just to make sure he doesn't get the idea about him just faking it when he said:

"Nothing. There seemed to be an issue with the security system. I already sent someone to get that fixed."

"And when was the last recording from?"

"About 11pm yesterday I think."

The relief was slightly visible on his face. It's fun how you can play with someone's mind so easily.

"Well, due to the injuries you received I have no other option but to send you home."

"But it's not that bad, honestly."

America almost smirked to himself.

"You really want to be near him after what happened?"

"Well, not really. But I do want to serve my country."

"You will, but some other time. I just have to deal with the other's for now. Maybe even make a new team if this goes beyond control."

"I see."

"They want him dead. If things get out of hand I'll have no other choice but to do so."

"My apologies, Sir."

America grit his teeth. Apologies? Oh, how would he enjoy to break every and each one of his bones right there on the spot.

"What has to be done, has to be done. You're leaving tonight so you better pack your things once you're out of here.

"Yes, Sir."

America nodded, then stood up and left.

That was it. His things. There had to be some evidence. He'll look through them. And he needs to tell the others to eavesdrop on all the calls made in the next 24 hours. If he took the bait he'll try to contact whoever he takes orders from.

This better work. Who knows how long Russia can survive out there? He just hopes that nothing bad happens to him. Or else he'll deal with this traitor personally, with such cruelty and mercilessly that no one ever did or will do in many years to come.