The Empress's New Clothes

_______________________________

News of Sophie's failed love spell swept across both schools, and by mid-morning everyone waited with bated breath to get a glimpse of her scarlet F. But when Sophie skipped all her morning classes, it was clear that she was too ashamed to show her face.

"You should have heard the things Tedros called her," Beatrix said to Evergirls at lunch.

Sitting in a heap of autumn, Agatha tuned her out and looked over Tedros and the Everboys playing rugby, silver swans glimmering on their knitted blue sweaters. Across the Clearing, Nevers shunned group activities and sat mostly by themselves. Hester glanced up from the Spells for Suffering and read Agatha's eyes with a shrug, as if Sophie's whereabouts were the least of her concerns.

"Now, Teddykins, it's not her fault," Beatrix blathered loudly. "The poor girl thinks she's one of us. We should feel sorry for someone so pathe-"

Her eyes bulged. Agatha saw why.

Sophie sashayed into the Clearing, dumpy black sack refashioned into a strapless bodice dress, F shimmering over her west with devil-red sequins. She'd cut her blonde hair even shorter and slicked it down in a shiny bob. Her face was painted geisha white, her eyelids pink, her lips vermilion, and her glass shoes had not only been repaired but heeled even taller, which together with the extremely short dress, showed off long, creamy legs. From the shadows, she swanned into the sun, and light exploded off her glitter-dusted skin, bathing her in heavenly glow. Sophie strutted past Hester, who dropped her book, past Everboys, who dropped their ball, and glided right up to Hort.

"Let's do lunch," she said, sweeping him away like a hostage.

Across the field, Tedros' sword fell out of its sheath.

He saw Beatrix glaring and put it back.

_______________________________
Agatha's POV :

During Surviving Fairy Tales, Sophie ignored Yuba's lecture on "Leaving Useful Trails" and spent the entire class cozying up to Hort and filling her Never pail with roots and herbs from the Blue Forest.

"What are you doing!" hissed Agatha.

"Can you believe it, Aggie darling? They have beet-root, willow bark, lemonwood, and everything else I need to make my old potions and creams! Soon, I'll be back to my old self!"

"This wasn't the 'real Sophie' I had in mind."

"Excuse me? I'm just following your rules. Flaunt your assets, which are many, as you can see. Speak through actions- have I spoken a word to Tedros? No. Haven't. And lest we forget, parade competing suitors. Do you know what it takes to survive lunch with Hort? To nuzzle that rodent every time I see Tedros looking? Eucalyptus, Agatha. I numb my nose with eucalyptus. But in the end, you were right."