Magic in the Mirror

Agatha's POV -

Buried under laces pillows, all Agatha could hear was the echo of four terrible words.

GET YOUR OWN LIFE.

What life? Before Sophie, before Y/N, all she could remember was darkness and pain. They had made her feel normal. They had made her feel needed. Without them, she was a freak, a nothing, a . . .

Agatha's stomach dropped.

A witch never has her own fairytale.

Without them, she was a witch.

For six days, Agatha stayed shut in her tower, listening to the screams of Evers terrorized by new attacks. All jointing school activities had been canceled indefinitely, lunch and Forest Groups included. Was this all her fault? Didn't witches leave fairytales in ruins? As the screams outside grew more panicked, her guilt screwed tighter and tighter.

Then the attacks stopped.

Huddled in common rooms, Evers held their breath. But when Saturday and Sunday went, Agatha knew the storm had passed. Sophie would come to say sorry any minute now. Gazing at the rose-tinted moon, Agatha hugged her pillow and prayed. Their friendship would survive this.

Fairies jingles outside the door and she swiveled to see two notes slide under it. Chest pounding, she dived out of bed, swooped it into sweaty palms-

Dear Students,
With the Snow Ball six days away, this week's challenge will see if you are prepared. Despite recent interruptions, there will be no further cancellations. Our traditions are what desperate Good from Evil. Even in the darkest of times, a Ball may be your last chance to find a happy ending.

- Professor Dovey

     Agatha groaned and buried herself under the pink sheets. But as she gave in to sleep, she began to hear her words . . . Ball . . . Purpose . . . Happy . . . They tumbled in darkness, echoing deeper, deeper, until they planted in her soul like magic seeds.

*•~•*

Sophie's POV -

Raven tiptoed towards Room 66, swan crest of six shivering Nevers glinting in darkness behind him.

"It the attacks stopped, maybe she's dead," Vex said.

"Maybe villains don't do Evil on Sundays," said Brone.

"Or maybe Sophie got over that stupid prince!" Raven lashed.

"You don't get over love," Hort moped in dirty long johns. "Even if they steal your room and your pajamas."

"Sophie shouldn't even let herself love!" Raven shot back. "First time I told my dad I liked a girl, he slathered me in honey and sealed me in a bear den for a night. Haven't liked one since."

"First time I told my mom I fancied someone, she baked me in an oven for an hour," Mona agreed, green skin paling. "I never think about boys now."

"First time I liked a boy, my dad killed him."

The group stopped and stared at Arachne. "Maybe Sophie just had bad parents," she said.

With solemn nods, the Nevers skulked to Room 66, hidden in shadow. Holding their breaths, they each found a piece of door, and pressed their ears to it.