Chapter 1

I begin senior year with the distinct feeling that something is not right.

As in, something is not right between Logan and me. Logan, as in Logan Hayman, the tall, good-looking senior with sun-bleached hair and undeniable popularity, who somehow also happens to be my boyfriend. And let's be honest, it is still surprising even to me to use the words "my" and "boyfriend" any time before my fiftieth birthday.

But somehow, Logan Hayman managed to waltz into my life at the beginning of summer break, when the only thing on my mind was picking up my couch potato status from spring break with a long overdue Netflix marathon. Instead, I found myself hanging from Logan Hayman's unfairly trained biceps, sharing ice cream and very sweet (because of said ice cream) kisses during hot summer days, and spending more time out of my comfort zone than I ever did in my life.

But now that summer is over and autumn has brought not only chilly weather, but also school, everything seems different. Nothing is left from the summery sweetness of dating Logan Hayman. Instead, I stare at my phone and wonder how Logan manages to sound so cold over a simple text message.

You have a car yourself, so there's no need to pick you up, right?

I don't know what to reply to that. I mean, yes, I do have a car, and I would never force him to pick me up. But why did he need to clarify it like that? I also don't reply because I don't like texting in general. Something Logan knows just too well. It feels like another blow to my already sour mood.

When I arrive at school, there's no Logan waiting for me in the parking lot. When I attend my classes, Logan gives me a weak excuse of a smile and busies himself with his schoolwork on the first day of school. And Logan isn't exactly your straight-A student. When I meet Logan in the hallway, he waves in my general direction, which could also include the surprised sophomores next to me. They giggle and nudge each other's sides because Logan Hayman just waved at me! I press my lips together and don't wave back.

Of course, Kaia is all worried. Kaia, as in my best friend since late freshman year, bouncy cinnamon curls, the brightest smile I've ever seen, and an endless supply of good mood. The frown on her face begs to differ though, and this means a lot.

"You don't know what's up with him, right?" she asks during lunch break.

We are seated in the back of the school's common room, commonly referred to as the green & gold room due to our school's logo. However, our school's emblem is not comprised of eerie green snakes with comically large golden fangs, which is what most of the student body voted for during the Let's Get a New School Logo campaign last year. Instead, it is an abstract logotype of our school's name, displayed in green font with golden dashes. It looks aesthetically pleasing, but boring. I can't remember anyone voting for it.

The green & gold room is not frequently occupied during lunch, since most students prefer to have their meals in the cafeteria. Nonetheless, it is for the best as I do not have to confront Logan and possibly have him wrap his arms around me like he did many times over the summer. I also do not have to bear the whispering and chatter "Oh my gosh look at his – Logan Hayman has a new girlfriend!".

Perhaps, that is the reason Logan did not want us to attend the same school.

Kaia shakes her head when I mention this.

"I don't think Logan is worried about his image. Also, you are beautiful, so it would be an upgrade from his last girlfriend anyway."

Kaia seems to be high on flattery today, which indicates that something is going on.

"Do you think Logan is going to break up with me?" I ak slowly while attempting to appear nonchalant, looking towards the couch across from us.

A freshman shrieks and hides behind his math book.

"What? No, why would he?" Kaia protests immediately and seizes my arm. "He likes you, June, like so much!"

She stretches out her arms and offers me her brightest smile.

"You will see, by the end of the week, he will have calmed down from whatever phase he is going through, and you two will be the cutest couple I know again!"

It is apparently a compliment, considering Kaia knows a lot of couples, but it still leaves a bitter feeling in my gut. There is this nagging feeling that the outcome of whatever crisis Logan is going through will be terrible. I do not even know why I am worrying so much since I took the whole Logan situation lightly over the summer. I mean, he is my first boyfriend, and it is not a big deal anyway. I am seventeen now, and it is typical for people my age to date. Even if Logan wants to break up, it is no big deal. Many relationships fail at our age, and it is normal. Millions of relationships end every day all over the world. But somehow, it feels like a big deal to me, and this is what leaves me biting hard on my lower lip.

On the other hand, Kaia seems to feel an urgent need to change something.

"I know just the thing that can help you," she interrupts my moping out of the blue, or not so much since it seems like she was just waiting for the right moment to present her latest plans, "Extracurricular activities!"

I was expecting ice cream and romantic comedies.

"Why, Kaia," I ask, my mouth full of sandwich, "Can't you see that I am already suffering enough?"

Kaia loves extracurricular activities, and I hate them. She joins clubs left and right, trying to add as many brownie points to her schedule as possible, but the truth is - she genuinely enjoys it. I do not.

"Come on, I promise it will be amazing," Kaia says, chewing on her lower lip, "This is our last year in high school, our last chance to make an impact, and maybe upgrade your resume?"

My resume is terrible. My extracurricular activities are nonexistent.

"There's this event crew," Kaia says nonchalantly, as if it just came to her mind, "They used to be part of the student council, but they split. Now they are organizing events on their own, which is super cool. My friend Liling, from my Literature class, told me all about it. They are looking for new members, and no one has applied so far!"

"It is the first day of school; no one is thinking about extracurricular activities," I say, furrowing my brows, "Also, your friend Liling?"

Kaia beams. "We met today, and we instantly connected. She is a year younger and really sweet. And she told me that they need many new members to help them organize events and - parties."

"Organizing things? Doesn't that require being good at organizing?"

I have never really organized anything before, except maybe my mother's last birthday party. It only included my parents, grandparents, and two other friends, so I am not sure if that even counts.

"We will learn it quickly, I am sure," Kaia is so optimistic it is hard to stop her, "I will talk to Liling tomorrow, and you will see; we will be part of their crew in no time!"

It is a Kaia thing, I guess, the way she is always so energetic after something supposedly bad happens. When she failed three math exams in a row in freshman year, she became part of the tennis club. When her preferred date for prom was already taken, she decided to join the year-round Clean the Green & Gold Room project, which is definitely more work than it sounds. And now, since Logan is going through his "Let's Keep Our Relationship Status Vague On Purpose" phase, it is this club called the event council. And I, in my vulnerable state of momentary weakness, find myself nodding. Like I was really prepared for what was about to come.

Spoiler Alert: I wasn't.