Chapter 34

"So, this is your boyfriend?"

My mum is positioned by the door with her camera and a bright smile on her face.

"Hello, Mrs. Riley," Matthew does something that looks like a bow, "Pleasure to meet you."

I make a face and nudge his back. My mum is all ecstatic.

"Oh, I like this one," she coos, "June told me so much about you – it was so sweet, how you helped her with the science project! I'm glad she found such a nice boyfriend."

My face heats up.

"Mum, come on. We don't have much time. Pictures, remember?"

It's cold outside, since it finally snowed, and my mum opted for outside pictures because of how beautiful the first snow looks compared to the old tapestry in our entry. It really does, but my prom dress is not exactly fitting outer wear. I glance longingly at the fluffy black coat hanging over my mum's arm, and can't wait to get this done with.

"Right, please get ready," my mum gives Matthew a quick pat on the arm, "You really didn't need to worry, June, there's no way a picture with such a handsome boy can come out bad."

I want to die. Matthew laughs and slings his arm around me, until I'm pressed against his side. He looks really good in his dark suit, and all my worrying last night that my senior prom pictures, aka the only prom pictures I'm ever going to take, will come out stupid because I look like an idiot. I mean, me looking like an idiot is still not completely ruled out, but Matthew looking like that is definitely going to make up for it. I reach out to gently touch his cheek and he smiles and leans down to press a kiss on my hair.

My mum takes about a hundred pictures and coos just how gorgeous and stunning we look, and I'm practically freezing to death.

Matthew senses my distress and laughs, rubbing my arm. "I think we got a lot of good ones by now."

"Of course, of course," my mum says and puts down her camera, "Do you want to look?"

I don't. I lightly pinch Matthew's side and he holds me closer.

"Unfortunately no. We're kind of in a hurry, my mum wants to take pictures, too," Matthew looks like he's seriously sad to leave, "I hope it's okay if we're leaving now, Mrs. Riley."

"Have fun," my mum calls and gives me one last hug, "Don't bring her home late, Matthew."

"I won't," he says and smiles, taking my coat from her and wrapping it around my shoulders.

I roll my eyes so hard I feel dizzy. "Let's go."

I hug my mum and she waves after us, and it's not until we're halfway down the driveway that I remember something.

"Mum," I call over my shoulder, "Can you send a few of those to dad?"

She gives me a look, and the smile on her face is soft and warm. "I will."

"You look great," Matthew tells me when we reach his car, "This dress is amazing."

I raise an eyebrow and laugh. This is so cliché, and it feels good.

"Thank you."

I don't feel entirely comfortable riding shotgun, but Matthew practically begged to drive.

"Just for once," he said, "Come on June, let me pick up my girl for prom night at least."

I'm mad at myself because I'm weak when he's all charming, even at the cost of my own life. Okay, we survive the drive, but it's really a close call. My whole body is shaking when I climb out of Matthew's car and I glare at him