Chapter 26

Even though there's still quite some time left until Christmas, it seems like the whole school can't await it. There's already a big tree in the main hallway, decorated in the school colors, and bright Christmas-y decorations and red and green garlands are all over the hallways. My locker has a small mistletoe attached to it and I hope it wasn't anyone of the club members. Kaia thinks it's cute and wants me to kiss Matthew in front of it. I snort in response.

Matthew doesn't show up for most of the day, and it's already after lunch that I finally catch him running past me in the hallway.

"Important meeting with my English teacher," he comes to a breathless halt and accepts my outstretched hand, "We messed up our last project. Apparently, Pat handed in his biology notes instead of our documentation. I can't make it to the club meeting, sorry."

I'm disappointed but try to play it cool. "Um, sure. I don't think you'll miss much."

Matthew smiles and steps right into my space, pulling me close by our intertwined hands. He leans in to gently brush his fingers over my cheek, and I feel incredibly small in my one-inch-boots.

"You know," Matthew says then and reaches down into his backpack, "I actually need to give you this."

It's a copy of Holes that looks like it's been read numerous times, at least.

"It's from Leonard. He said I can't date a girl who hasn't read Holes. I don't care if you hate it, just tell him it's amazing the next time you see him. Leonard's driving me crazy."

I carefully put the book in my bag. "Sure."

Matthew smiles and presses a quick kiss to my cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He lingers for a second, and it's only when he turns around that he finally lets go of him hand. I watch him leave and feel stupid and bubbly, the kind where I smile really dumb, and I'm not even trying to stop it. I'm doomed.

Later, in the clubroom, Liling is on a rant about what to wear for prom. We're supposed to work on our preparations, but instead she tells me all about this red Santa Claus-ish dress she wore last year and how everyone wanted to take pictures with her.

"It was super annoying," she says, "I'm not going to do it again. I mean, yes I make a cute Santa Claus but I also want to enjoy myself, you know?"

I nod absentmindedly while watching YouTube tutorials on how to prepare catering tables. It doesn't look that difficult. I'm sure I'll mess it up anyway.

"I wore a golden dress, with glitter," Kaia says, "It was really pretty. There was this guy from my math class who asked me to prom – Marcus – and we looked really good together. But now whenever I look at that dress, all I'm reminded of are mashed potatoes."

There's a unison groan from the council members. I am once again utterly thankful I missed out on that horrifying experience.

"I wore a black dress with blue dots," Vivian looks up from her notebook, "It was really long, down to my ankles. It matched with my boyfriend's suit."

"Your boyfriend wore a blue dotted suit?" Carlos asks, "How did I miss that?"

Vivian rolls her eyes.

"He wore a black suit with a blue tie. The shades of the colors matched. It was very thoughtful of him," she pauses, "We still broke up two weeks after."

"Is this you telling me I should buy a matching suit or no?" Logan sounds slightly worried.

Vivian giggles and goes to poke his cheek, and Carlos throws in "Don't you dare use this to make out", but it's too late anyway.