Chapter 8

"So, what's your deal?"

Carlos catches up with us right as Kaia's about to drag me to the kiosk before classes because "They're selling strawberry-banana milk! I waited for this ever since school started!".

"My deal?" I retreat and hand Kaia my purse, "What, about the schedule for the cleaning event? I actually didn't start yet, but –"

"Not the schedule," Carlos shakes his head and there's an unsettling grin on his face, "You know, about the thing with Matthew."

I'm staring at him blankly and Kaia gives us wide eyes look from where it's her turn to pay.

"What thing with Matthew?" I say and tilt my head.

"Yeah, what thing with Matthew?" Kaia squeals and throws herself over my shoulder, "What are you talking about?"

Carlos raises his arms in defense. "I don't know, things just seemed a little flirty between the two of you. I thought this is like a revenge on Logan or something."

Flirty? Between Matthew and me? To get revenge on Logan – wait.

"Carlos," I narrow my eyes at him, "What do you know about Logan and me?"

I glare at Kaia and her eyes widen dramatically.

"Why are you looking at me? I didn't say a thing!"

"Chill, Logan told me," Carlos says and rolls his eyes, "We're buddies, remember?"

I really don't.

"You and Logan? And he told you – what?"

"I don't know, he was being all weird again about us being friends," Carlos says, "And then, completely random, he told me you guys hooked up over summer but – it didn't work out?"

My face falls and Kaia quickly pats my back.

"Um. Okay," I say slowly, "Hooked up."

"Yeah? Is that not what happened?"

"Not exactly," I really don't want to tell more people about the whole Logan thing than necessary, but it feels more like damage control if he's already going around telling people we hooked up, "We dated. At least kind of. But Logan was more interested in hooking up with Vivian behind my back I guess, so there's that."

"Are you serious?" Carlos stares at me in utter disbelief, "You and Logan really dated? When? How?"

"Over summer. He asked me out right after school ended. I mean I thought he did, but then he dumped me for Vivian and forgot all about how we were a couple to begin with apparently."

"Wow," Carlos shakes his head, "This is really, really low. I would never expect this from him."

"Just what I was saying," Kaia pipes up, "Logan kept June his dirty little secret over summer, then even ends up cheating on her, and now gets to live the happy couple life with Vivian and go around and tell lies about June. This is why June needs to have her revenge."

"Oh, I get it," Carlos says and nods, "So that's why you're flirting with Matthew. Makes way more sense than the hook up story."

"Right," Kaia beams at me, "It's a great idea, June!"

I roll my eyes. "Jesus. You guys. I don't flirt with Matthew. Yes, Logan acted like a jerk, but lesson learned I guess. There's no need for a revenge. Also – why would I flirt with Matthew of all people? Isn't he super close with Agatha? I thought they'd make a cute couple, if anyone."

"This sounded a little jealous, just so you know," Kaia says and grabs my hand tightly, "Don't be like this, June, we both know you want revenge on Logan so why not use this brilliant opportunity?"

To be honest, there is a part inside me that wants nothing more but revenge. For Logan to feel as awful as I do whenever I see Vivian and him, for him to be all miserable, crying at my feet, begging me to forgive him. But I don't see how flirting with Matthew screams a brilliant opportunity for this. More like me making a fool out of myself.

"Also, Matthew and Agatha are really close, but they're definitely not dating, if that's what you're thinking," Carlos informs me, "Agatha actually has a boyfriend – super chunky dude, from an all-boys school and you know how they build them there. Matthew definitely wouldn't want him to think he's trying to get with his girlfriend."

"But –" I start slowly and tilt my head, "How does her boyfriend call Agatha? He surely has a nickname for her, doesn't he?"

Carlos' mouth opens and closes again, a dumbfounded look on his face. "You know, I never thought about that."

"I'll ask her," Kaia says, "Agatha is so nice, I feel like we're already close."

"Anyway," Carlos says and tugs on my sleeve, "If you're ready to face the real deal, just talk to me. With my help, your revenge on Logan will be genius, I promise."

I'm not sure if that's the real deal, nor if I even want Carlos or Kaia involved. I still smile, because it feels good, my friend and new friend sticking up for me against Logan. This is more than enough to make me happy anyway.