Chapter 13

I'm not very tall. 

I'm not necessarily short either. 5'7 is a few centimeters taller than my mum and a few inches taller than Kaia. Still, I wear heels to school almost every day – magically growing from 5'7 to 5'9, 5'10 or even 5'11 whenever I feel like it. And with heels, I'm tall. Taller than a lot of girls and even boys. Taller than the freshmen, even taller than Logan (ha). Being tall makes me feel confident, cool, aloof even. Kaia says it makes me look even more unapproachable, but that's what I like.

This morning though, I'm wearing flat shoes, so I'm nothing but 5'7. I thought about wearing my platform sneakers, but I know people would judge me, so I don't. Instead, I chose my oldest converse, paired with dark leggings and a zip up hoodie.

My mum prepared me lunch box consisting mainly of cut up fruits and veggies, since I told her we're going to prepare pancakes.

She smiles and pats down my hair, which is easy for her in my shoes. I feel tiny.

"Have fun, honey."

"It's a cleaning event, but I'll try," I smile and wave over my shoulder.

Kaia already waits for me at her doorstep when I reach her house, also dressed in leggings, but also a long white blouse and matching apron.

"I'm super excited," she squeals while getting in my car, "I woke up at six in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. I'm sure today is going to be amazing."

She doesn't bring up what happened yesterday, which is very Kaia. She can be mad on my behalf for ages, but isn't able to hold a grudge herself more than five minutes.

"Sure," I say and point at the bag she's carrying, "What's in there?"

"Water bottles, cleaning supplies my mum gave me, my make-up bag and look, I even brought salt."

"Because?"

"Because salt is best to remove red wine stains," Kaia says, "I saw it in a TikTok."

"Why do you think there will be red wine stains in the green & gold room?" I say and stop my car in the empty parking lot, "This is a high school."

"Oh June."

We take our bags and enter the school, which feels weird on a Saturday. Maybe because I never joined any extra-curricular activities before. The green & gold isn't exactly brimming with students, but there are quite a few, mostly freshmen, but also giggling sophomores, and very laid back looking juniors and seniors. Kaia runs to say hi to people from her classes and I panic and search for people from the club.

"June!" Liling calls me immediately.

She's wearing matching red and white plaid aprons with Agatha, both of them carrying two large bowls.

"It's or the pancakes," Liling explains to me and nods to where Duncan and Carlos are busy setting up something that looks like portable stoves, "We're going to prepare them while you guys start with the cleaning."

"Means you spare yourself from all the hard work," Duncan says.

Liling throws a dishtowel at his head.

"Please. I'm so sorry you have to do your job for once."

Carlos grins and wipes his hands on his sweatpants before going in to hug me. I accept it.

"So I heard something happened."

I make a face. "I don't know what Kaia told you, but Logan and I only talked –"

"Logan? I thought this was about Matthew?"

"What?" I stare at him, "What about Matthew?"

Of course Matthew chooses this exact moment to materialize next to me, his dark hair brushed back and a wide smile on his face.