3

Callum always ate his lunch in his office, typically alone at his desk on the top floor. Charlotte was the exception, who often found herself still working or micromanaging his schedule while he ate. It wasn't that Callum disliked eating with his peers; it was more so the other way around; nobody wanted to associate with him and be the latest scandal surrounding their boss.

Callum didn't mind the solitude; however, Charlotte had that curious glint in her eyes that meant he wouldn't get the peace and quiet he anticipated.

Barely halfway into his overpriced salad, Callum frustratingly set it aside, glancing at his secretary, who was hovering by his desk. "Yes, Charlotte?"

"I bet the marketing team is questioning your decision."

"Decision?"

She hummed. "Putting Mr. Corbett as the team leader. Victor's been here for years."

"Mr. Corbett has experience as a team leader." Callum looked at his secretary with confusion. "It made more sense that way. Besides, this project will have the other department's input; it's not that big of a project."

"Yes, but Victor's got years of experience over him."

Callum drummed his fingers on the table. "And what are you getting at?"

"You putting a new recruit in a leadership position this soon?" she said. "Practically asking for the gossip to spread."

"Charlotte, he's not entirely new to the company." He gave her a concerned look. "I don't understand—"

"You like him, don't you?"

"What?"

She rolled her eyes before looking down at him. "You like him. Mr. Corbett."

"What on earth are you talking about?" He frowned. "I thought this was your suggestion; HR even recommended Mr. Corbett for the role? I hadn't even considered it till you mentioned him."

"Callum," she said as if scolding a child. "You like him. I've seen it during the meeting. You couldn't stop glancing over at him. Didn't even hear a word I said after it was over."

Callum was taken aback. "You are insane. I was explaining the project brief. To the new marketing head, of course, I had to look at him."

"I've been your secretary for years; you don't think I'd notice that he's exactly your type? Shorter, lighter hair, the doe eyes. And the dimples? Ring a bell?"

He shot her a glare, one that would've scared any other employee if it hadn't been her. "Charlotte, what did I say about being involved in these kinds of things?"

"I think it's in your best interest that I know about these things, especially when I manage your schedules and keep up with the tabloids and gossip around here." She pointed at the notepad beside them. "And Callum, I know you. We've been more than just a boss and secretary; we're friends. I know Mr. Corbett is precisely your type, and I know that as your friend, I want to make sure that you handle this situation carefully."

"There is no situation, Charlotte. He is a new transfer from New York. We happened to run into each other in the elevator, nothing more. Watch; he'll return back to his old branch eventually. My bet is a couple of months."

She leaned over his desk. "There you go again, pushing him away already when he's barely even settled in."

"I did not push him away."

"Let me guess; you told him all the great things that New York has to offer." Callum sighed as she continued, "and you're going to keep telling him those things and make him want to leave before you get attached."