10

Callum glared at Charlotte from behind his desk. "You sure you didn't pressure him to buy a lunch, did you? He doesn't seem like the type to accept such handouts or gifts like that."

"Of course not. Why would I pressure him?" Charlotte teased, the corners of her lips rising into that silly smirk of hers. Of course, she pressured him, Callum thought.

"You insisted, didn't you?" Callum shook his head as he scrolled through his work emails. "I hope you were at least a little subtle. A casual offer."

"Sure. Although he did decline the wagyu burgers."

"I'd be surprised if he had bought them." Callum turned to her finally, as she leaned over the desk with her arms. "You think it's weird I bought him lunch, right?"

She scoffed. "No. What's weirder is how obsessed you are about this whole situation."

"Obsessed?" Callum guffawed. "What makes you say that?"

She plucked a pencil from his desk to point at his chest. "Look at you. Since yesterday, you've been fidgeting and acting like some silly schoolgirl over a crush."

He scowled. "I can't be nice and buy a colleague lunch?"

"When was the last time you treated me to lunch, Callum?"

He tilted his head. "Last week?"

"Bad example," she corrected. "I am your secretary—friend even. You've hardly even talked to Logan until recently. One second you're pushing him away and telling him why he should go back to his life in New York. Now, you're acting like you want to date him—which I called from the get-go, and I whole-heartedly approve, by the way."

"Buying him lunch does not equate to dating."

"Ah, ah, ah," she scolded, waving the pencil at him again. "It's one of the first steps to dating, Callum. You bought him lunch. Then comes taking him out somewhere. That's a date. Then, sure enough, you'll fall in love and want to be his boyfriend."

"Charlotte—"

She clucked her tongue. "Don't Charlotte me. Something changed after you two were trapped in that elevator."

"Yeah, we talked. And like I mentioned, I brought up Tess. He mentioned his ex." He snatched the pencil out of her hand. "Nothing more."

"I know you're curious about him, and I know that you wouldn't have bought lunch for any other employee if you had gotten stuck with them. I'm telling you, you are obsessed, and I'm not upset about it."

He shook his head. "No, if anything, I felt pity for him for being stuck in a situation that could have serious consequences for him if rumors spread."

"Oh, please. Consequences that could be pretty great for the two of you."

"I can't possibly see where you're getting that."

"You think I'm a fool for saying you two could get along? That he might be good for you?" She leaned forward. "Possibly the one?"

Callum made a face. "Stop."

"I did tell him that you had wished to deliver it personally." He glared at her. "What? You did say that you were the one disappointed you couldn't do it, that it would be too obvious if you were to approach him yourself."

"I know." He ran a hand through his hair. "You didn't have to mention it, though."

She sighed before half sitting on the desk. "I'm just saying it's rare for me to approve of your interests. Although, a word of advice?"

He looked up at her. "Yes?"

"Be careful. I know I tell you this about all your relationships, but I have a good feeling. I'd hate to see you mess it up. He could be good for you."