16

Earl had the weekends off, so Callum drove to a small brunch spot just a couple of blocks away from the office. Callum knew the owners and had set up a table in a quieter part of the restaurant that had a window with planter boxes. In them had an assortment of purple and blue flowers that looked too real to be fake if Callum hadn't known any better.

There was less tension in Logan's shoulders and posture than during their dinner the other day or the company dinner yesterday. He ordered an avocado toast and an iced latte with ease. When Callum asked about the toast, Logan simply replied he followed a few Los Angeles-based celebrities that adored it and had never tried it before. Callum almost didn't believe him until he saw the way Logan's eyes widened when the server brought it to him. He took a couple of photos of the plate before digging in.

It didn't take long for them to realize they were hungrier than they thought.

Callum ordered another side order of bacon and a french omelette to share between them. Logan tackled the omelette first, practically mewling over how good it was as Callum watched in amusement. "That good?"

"Best omelette I've ever had."

Callum grinned. It was a pleasant surprise to see Logan this at ease around him, and yet he worried whatever happened last night in his drunken daze hadn't made him look like a complete fool. The last thing he remembered was grabbing that second bottle of champagne and crashing on the couch. He hadn't even remembered grabbing Logan's phone and texting Chris.

He still felt absolutely ridiculous over it, despite how many times Logan had reassured him in the morning. They both laughed at Chris's childlike remarks about the texts.

Callum let Logan pay for their brunch—more like Logan forced Callum to put his wallet away—before they thanked the owner and headed back to the car.

Callum's car was just around the corner, but Logan stopped dead in his tracks before they could reach it.

"Oh no," Logan said, turning around completely, his face pale like a ghost. Callum glanced in that direction, spotting the same man from last night storming their way.

"Shit." He bent his knees to look Logan in the face. "What do we do?"

His whole body shuddered. "I–I don't know? Your car is right there, though."

"We could go back to the restaurant or a nearby shop?"

Logan shook his head. "And cause a scene? How did he know where we were?"

"Maybe he saw the license plate? Hopefully, he won't spot us." But as Callum said that, Chris had already spotted the two, walking briskly over to them. "Shit."

Before Callum could think to step between them, Chris had already stormed over, his anger directed straight at Logan. It was as if Callum was invisible in Chris' eyes.

"You've got some explaining to do," Chris snapped, gripping the collar of Logan's or Callum's shirt in this case.

"Let go of me," Logan spat, shoving Chris off of him. "You shouldn't be here."

"Me?" Chris was exasperated. "You should be in New York! Why the fuck did you move without telling me—no, without me?"

Logan scowled. "Did you think this was some kind of game? You can't fucking stalk me like this, Chris. We're done with. You have no right being here."

"Oh, yeah? Then who the fuck is he?" Chris jabbed a finger at Callum.

Callum stepped forward, his eyes narrowed, and jaw clenched. Logan had shot out a hand before he could step between the two. "No, don't."