Chapter 1 Four Saves X

It seemed to be an average day. Not long after Leafy and Firey left to find their Dream Island, Four and X were working with Purple Face and Announcer to see if a future season would be possible. Four was a good host, that was for sure, but, like the Announcer had said before, Four had lost all control of the game. Several contestants left to battle for TPOT, recommend characters would try to get on the show, they even allowed some non qualified characters to join. Poor Four had a lot to learn to be a proper host. Luckily, Announcer had a change of heart and allowed Four to work with him for the show's future, whatever it would hold.

But, for the time being, it was good just for all of them to be themselves without the stress of the competition weighing them down.

There were other things to focus on. Not just the show.

The main thing was, getting Four to change for the better.

Of course, Four apologized for being so mean and treated them so terribly and sure Four became nicer, but in reality, change does not happen overnight.

It takes work and it takes... trust.

*****************

Later that day, Four, X, Purple Face, and the other remaining contestants went to the pool to cool off as it was a very hot day. The contestants jumped and laughed and did many cannonballs. Unfortunately, for X, he didn't know how to swim. He could tread water long enough to stay afloat for a short while, but he couldn't swim properly.  So, X stayed away from the pool as far as possible.

Four went to get some drinks for him and X. Four wanted to try to be nicer. He didn't want to be the horrid, mean monster he was throughout the show. Gelatin called him out big time when they were all stranded in the sun during the show's finale. Four was in severe guilt over everything. He thought by doing a random act of kindness would at least be a start.

When Four came back, what he saw was terrible sight. X was drowning!

"Help me, please!", X shouted in horror. "Please don't let me drown!", he said. X knew if he did die, he could just be recovered by Four later. But, it didn't make the thought of drowning and suffering a horrible death any less terrifying and sad.

"Hold on, buddy, I am coming!", Four shouted as he ran with lightning speed to the pool and dove right in with a huge splash.

The other contestants got out of the water and watched helplessly as Four dove deeper and deeper into the deep end to save X. X sank to the bottom, unconscious. Four grabbed X's arm and instantly shot up to the surface.

Four gasped for air as he surfaced with X in tow. The contestants reached out their hands and feet to help bring Four and X in. Four climbed out of the pool with X in his arms and laid him down on the ground.

"X, buddy, are you OK?! Please, breathe for me! Please, wake up!!!!!", Four pleaded.

But, it was useless.

"Give him CPR!", Gelatin shouted. "What's that?!", asked Four in a panic. "It is when you press on a victim's chest in a fast rhythm and give them mouth-to-mouth air repeatedly until they respond.", Taco said rapidly.

Four wasted no time and pressed down on X's chest several times in a very strong manner. Four didn't really want to give X mouth-to-mouth as it was gross in his opinion, but he knew he had no choice if it meant saving his best friend.

As soon as Four positioned his lips towards X's lips, X suddenly awoke and shot himself awake and upwards, coughing up water and gasping loudly for air.

Four and the others were so happy and relieved that X was OK, but they knew that they had a ways to go before X would fully recover.

"Step back, guys, give them some air.", said Flower. "I agree, let's get back.", Profily added.

Four patted X on his back, gently as X continued to loudly cough up water. Water poured out from X's mouth like a waterfall as he tried to clear his lungs. X, then, threw up water, food, and some drool. X was embarrassed, but very weak as he struggled to recover. Four just looked on with sympathy and concern.

"Are you OK, X? Are you hurt?", Four asked X as he coughed. "I am fine, I am just..." *cough* "...trying to..." *cough-cough* "...get air.", he replied.

Four did not know how to help X or even comfort him. Just because Four was trying to change and be better, didn't mean that he would instantly know what to do and what the right thing to do in all situations was, so, he simply continued to pat X on his back. Announcer stepped in and grabbed a towel, then wrapped it around X's back towards his front. "I am just glad X is fine, he should not be in the water at all if he cannot swim.", said Announcer in his monotone, staccato voice.

Four simply sighed. "Just... don't do something like this again, X.", he said. X looked up. "OK.", he replied, simply.

All of the contestants and Purple Face were in awe. Four saved his friend from drowning. That in itself was something extraordinary. Could Four really have genuine good in him?

Well, he did show lots of times in the show itself that he did, but not enough to be trustworthy or prove to be a good host, or even a good person for that matter.

So, the answer was... maybe. Yes. Maybe.