Midnight

It was midnight, but no matter how many times Camilo fluffed his pillow or moved around, he couldn't get rid of the suffocating heat keeping him awake. Finally giving up, he stood up, walking downstairs.

He made himself a cup of coffee. Normally, he would avoid it at all costs, because it made him feel like he was growing up, but tonight he couldn't care less.

It was cold in the kitchen. His fingers curled around the mug, and he walked over to the spot next to the stairs to grab his slippers. He could hear footsteps.

His entire body froze. He wasn't ready to deal with anyone.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

A flash of green caught his attention.

Deep breaths. In, out. In, out.

The air got caught in his chest. 

Stop hyperventilating! In, OUT.

Bruno came into focus, and Camilo realized he'd been crying.

"Camilo?"

Bruno was at the end of the stairs. The room started closing in, and Camilo shot back up the stairs, the coffee splashing everywhere on the stairs

"Camilo!"

Bruno was chasing him, but before he could catch his nephew, Camilo reached his room.

He slumped against the bedpost, waiting for his uncle to come in. 

The lecture was coming

The door creaked open slowly, almost as if to torture Camilo with the suspense. The mug sat abandoned on the floor, shattered.

Bruno took one look at his nephew and knew what he had to do.

Sweeping up the shattered pieces of the mug, he put the large chunks in the trash, knowing he would just injure himself if he tried to pick up the tiny pieces.

"You told me we were past changing for each other"

The words echoed off the walls. Camilo sat there, petrified.

"I know you meant if, Camilo. I think we both have the same problem"

Camilo finally looked at his uncle, eyes glassy

"We both put others in front of ourselves," Bruno scootched closer to the sniffling boy, and before he knew it, his nephew was crying into his uncle's ruana.

Bruno froze, but relaxed. A rush of emotions hit him, and he could feel himself tearing up too.

"I know, Sobrino, I know"