Chapter 3.5 - Walking through it

"Ranpo-san," Yosano mumbles. "I can't walk."

Ranpo helps the girl from the seat. "Back to work!"

The door to the house rustles, and the two freeze in their tracks.

"Ran-kun? It's kaa-san!" Mizuki calls from downstairs, and she heads up the stairs.

"It's kaa-san," Ranpo smiles. "Kaa-san! What brings you back?"

"Mori's finally boss," Mizuki hums. "I need my makeup products. How's physical therapy?"

"Yeah," Yosano answers. "Don't you have work?"

"Mori can handle a couple of days without his ex-boss's mistress," Mizuki walks out of the room. "I'll be back after I change."

"Got it!" Ranpo waves. "Shall we start?"

"... Eternity is scarier and more serious than death, right?" 

Ranpo helps the girl up from her wheelchair to the equipment.

"I suppose," Ranpo answers, more focused on getting her to the equipment. "It depends on the individual."

"Kaa-san looks scared." Yosano supports her upper body with her arms. "I think she knows."

"Kaa-san isn't dumb," Ranpo helps the girl take a step, and her arms fail her. She falls onto the ground with a thud.

"Yo-chan? Are you alright?" Mizuki rushes to the room.

"I'm fine," She smiles. "My legs are still weak."

"Has Yukichi-kun been feeding you guys enough?" Mizuki pinches Ranpo's cheek gently.

"He can cook decently."

"Do I need to move back in?" Mizuki cups his face with both hands. "Hm?"

"Please do," Both teens whine.

Mizuki chuckles. "I'll talk to Mori. I sped up taking over Port Mafia by two years so I could join another one in a bit."

"Which one?"

"If I told you, Yukichi-kun would beat my ass," Mizuki hums, and she crouches down to lift Yosano back up.

"Isn't it better to just fix her legs?" Ranpo whines.

"I'm not traumatizing a user with their own power??" Mizuki raises a brow. "I don't want to use her ability on her."

Ranpo pouts. "But that's so slow!"

Mizuki shakes her head. "I don't have the other healing ability yet. I'll get it soon."

"Can... you stay here for a couple of days?"

"I'll be mostly free. Sure." Mizuki smiles. "Is there a reason?"

"I need to work tomorrow," Ranpo sulks.

She's glad she stayed, because when Yosano takes her first steps from the wheelchair, she's there to support her.

"Easy now," Mizuki helps the girl from her wheelchair, and Yosano grabs the pole.

One step forward.

Then another.

And another.

And another.

Yosano's walking.

Mizuki sobs, holding up her camera to record. "I feel like a proud mom."

Yosano stumbles, and Fukuzawa catches her. "Easy now."

Holding onto his arms, Yosano forces herself to stand up again.

"You don't need to push yourself," Mizuki closes the camera and sets it aside. "Yo-chan, you have plenty of time to walk again."

"I want to," She grimaces. "I want to walk again. You don't have forever next to me, and you're leaving soon."

"Oh," Mizuki blinks. "Did I forget to tell you guys I've got the most free time in the mafia? I don't run it. I only hold power."

Ranpo yawns as Yosano and Fukuzawa turn to took at her, baffled. "What?"

"Right!!!" Mizuki claps. "Shouldn't we put the kids in school?"

"They're not legally adopted."

Mizuki laughs. "I have a passports and ID for Yosano. I was anticipating that."

"But she's younger than me,"

"I'll put you in a college course," Mizuki smiles at Ranpo. "Yo-chan, I'll get you a private professor to teach you about medicine... once I do I should start calling you Ninti-chan..."

Yosano raises a brow at the nickname.

"You're hiring professional tutors?"

Mizuki smiles at Fukuzawa. "The kids deserve the best... also, it's not like Mori doesn't spend thousands on Elise-chan."

Fukuzawa's forehead creases at the mention of the girl.

Mizuki straightens out his forehead with her thumb. "It's fine. I also have the money I've saved up over the years."

"Kaa-san, does that make you a billionaire?"

"Considering inflation..." Mizuki counts on her fingers. "Four... seven... I'd have a good couple billion dollars."

Ranpo groans. "Then why do you work?"

"It's fun to learn things that will inevitably be erased in the future," Mizuki smiles. "Creativity is useful in the long run."

Yosano stumbles, and Fukuzawa reaches to catch her.

"I'm fine," She keeps walking, and she walks over to Mizuki. "See?"

"AHHHH!!!" Mizuki swoons. "MY BELOVED DAUGHTER!!! KAA-SAN'S SO PROUD!!!"

Yosano closes an eye when Mizuki presses her cheek to hers. "You're so incredible!!! Amazing!!! The love of my life!!!"

Yosano flushes red, the base of her neck heating up as well. "K-kaa-san,"

"Sorry!" Mizuki lets the girl go, and the smile still rests on her face. "I'm just very proud."

"Why don't you ever compliment me," Ranpo pouts.

Mizuki lets go of Yosano, and makes sure she can stand properly before squeezing Ranpo in her arms.

"I do!!" Mizuki whines. "Just never to your face! I haven't seen you in action, right?"

Ranpo pouts. "That's because when I am, you're at the mafia."

Fukuzawa stands on the side, staring at Mizuki with the two teens.

"Are they legally adopted?"

Mizuki pauses. "... this is lowkey kidnapping... right?"

"It's not like someone's going to question us, but if we want them in school, we need legal adoption papers." Fukuzawa walks over to the two.

"Ranpo, who's your legal guardian?" Mizuki stares down at the boy.

"No one," Ranpo shrugs. "I decided to live for my own. I have a document."

"That's in our files," Fukuzawa adds. "I put it there."

"Then Yosano?"

"She's under the government, right?"

"Oh," Mizuki hums. "Enroll Ranpo first. I'll get Yosano legally adopted in a year or so."

"So early?"

Mizuki smiles. "I promise."