Chapter 8 - Price of Paper

"You're joining the what?"

Dazai gawks. "You're insane-"

"No," Mizuki bites down on her food. "I'm just going to eliminate someone important before they eliminate you."

Oda places his bowl of curry on the counter. "Do you want some?"

"No," Chuuya grumbles. 

"You're suicidal."

"I am," Mizuki hums, motioning her finger up. "But I'm also unkillable."

The teens groan. 

"How many years?"

"One?" Mizuki counts on her fingers. "Two years, and then I'm leaving."

"You leave when I turn eighteen?" Oda finishes his curry.

"I need to join while it's still optimal time," Mizuki hums. "I can't let them perform surgery on me."

"You sound like Mori-sensei, saying optimal," Dazai finishes his food.

"Ew," Mizuki grimaces. "Not the pedophile."

Dazai chuckles. "Ah, what about Ango?"

A silence falls over the room.

No one utters a word, and the three teens look at Mizuki's expression.

Ango.

Mizuki didn't hate him, but it was more of... a discomfort.

She didn't hate him, but she didn't like him either. No one could get a read on him, not even Mizuki. He worked for the government, infiltrating the mafia to betray them for Mimic, then Mimic for the mafia. He was a man just as complex as Mizuki, though he lacked the years she had. Perhaps it was envy.

"Forget I asked," Dazai brushes the topic off. "He's obviously not going to be part of the team-"

A sinister smile sews itself on Mizuki's face.

"Information... huh?" 

Chuuya and Dazai huddle together.

"You triggered her!"

"It wasn't on purpose! I never talked about him with her! I wouldn't know!" Dazai hisses back.

Oda places a hand on Mizuki's shoulder. 

Mizuki swoons. "Ohhh!!! I could get so much information out of him!!! I can even steal his ability!!"

Mizuki wasn't a particularly cruel person. She had lived through centuries and learned early on that killing had no particular worth in her life. If she wanted, she could've started a religion, an empire, a country, yet, she wandered the world to find out about what life was worth living for. She didn't find it, but she didn't stop searching, with more than enough time on her hands.

"Mizuki," Oda's voice pulls her back.

She stares at him. "Sorry. I don't want Ango in this unit."

Mizuki didn't hate Ango, but she didn't particularly like him either. He was no different from who she was, and she hated people like herself.

"Right," Dazai sighs. "Do I join the ADA later on?"

"I just destroyed the dragon's head," Mizuki pulls out another crystal. "That's avoided."

"I don't get the kids?"

"Bestie, they're not even born yet," Mizuki blinks at Oda. "Not born."

Oda does the math in his head. "... right. I was eighteen when I rescued them. They were barely one at the time."