Chapter 21.5 - Bar Lupin

The camera snaps, and Mizuki sticks up a peace sign behind Oda's head. 

"Taking a photo without me?" Mizuki slides into the seat next to Oda.

"It was supposed to be of the men," Dazai hums.

"Ah," Mizuki sighs. She motions at the cat. "Come on, Sensei. You know you missed me."

The cat jumps in front of Mizuki, and she runs a hand down its back, scratching it affectionately.

"Did anything fun happen today?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Mizuki hums. "I'll take a rum on the rocks."

"Then describe your mundane day," Dazai smiles.

"Woke up, got the kids ready for school," Mizuki closes her eyes and smiles. "Headed to the office..."

Dazai watches Mizuki thank the bartender for the glass. 

"... and then I got to **** a ****** and ***** the ********* up the ***** and then *****," Mizuki counts on her fingers. "And then-"

Ango stares in horror at Mizuki, and Dazai spurs her on.

"... and then I got a text a few minutes ago from Oda that he would be at the bar today," Mizuki hums, drinking the rum. 

"How eventful!" Dazai sings.

Mizuki smiles. "Mm... I think Oda had more fun, though. Why'd you take the photo?"

"I had a feeling," Dazai closes his eyes. "That this would be our last meetup."

Mizuki feels it too.

"Well, all good things come and go." She smiles. The cat purrs against her hand. "I know."

"The last time we meet, huh?" Oda swirls the drink in his glass. 

Ango stares at Mizuki.

Her eyes are glazed over, and she seems far away. There's a gentle smile on her face, almost as if she were imagining a pretty sky, and a clear ocean. The smile on her face is melancholic, almost as if she knew where they were going to end.

"Say... Oda," Her voice is gentle, contrasting with how energetic she was normally. "Let's move to a house by the sea soon."

Oda glances at her, his expression softening. "Sure."

"We can take the kids," She closes her eyes. "And we can live off of the money I make as an executive."

"You'll keep working?"

"No," She spins in her seat. "I'll move with you."

"Now, now," Dazai whines. "Why are you so sad today, Mi-chan?"

Mizuki smiles. "Sorry. I was just thinking about something. How were you two's day?"

"I suppose," Dazai sighs. "Oh! I..."

Mizuki meets eyes with Ango as Dazai rambles about his day.

Ango looks away.

Mizuki stares back at the cat.

"Sensei... is this a curse?"

He meows.

Mizuki stares at the blown up car.

She runs head first, crying, screaming for some part of them to still be there. She didn't care if she had to give up her immortality.

"MIZUKI-"

Oda's voice sounds far away, and she tears through the rubble.

Nothing is left.

Nothing.

Nothing.

And Mizuki lays in the rubble, along with the remains of the children, sobbing, not because they were dead, but simply because she could never see them again. She couldn't visit them in heaven, in purgatory, in the afterlife. She can't get there.

She can't die.

The fire doesn't hurt as much as the crack in her heart.

Even when the fire is put out, and Oda has her in his arms, she feels numb.

"oda." Her voice is frail. "Will I be cursed to never live happy? Was coming to Japan a mistake?"

Oda holds her to his chest, his breathing ragged, voice scratchy.

"I don't know."

She leans into his chest, shaking from her tears.

Mizuki stares at Oda's grave, flowers in one hand, a box in the other.

Her chest feels empty.

She squats in front of the grave, placing the flowers at it, eyes void of emotions, water running down her cheeks.

"I love you." 

She sits down, and digs a hole.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you." Mizuki pauses, her tears spilling into the dirt. "I... I panicked and forgot I had the ability to heal."

She slouches over, her arms propped on his grave for support.

"I'm sorry." She shakes. "I'm sorry; I'm sorry; I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry imsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorry-"

It won't stop.

She can't stop crying.

Her breathing hurts.

Her eyes burn.

It hurts.

She rests her forehead on the grave, shaking, crying, tearing at the dirt.

"I'll try and join you soon." She presses her lips to the box, and places it inside the hole. "I love you."