Seeding Storms

A snake slithers quickly off the trail in front of me. I run to catch it for lunch tomorrow but it's too fast. It would have made a tasty stew. It doesn't take me long to catch up to my siblings and father. They're walking slowly so as not to signal trouble.

Dad says hello to people he knows as we pass folks along the way. I notice they're giving his busted face a double take. He's taking a risk walking around like this. It only takes one person to put a whole family in the Silo.

At the Four-Way we stroll up and down among the rows of the merchants. Dad peers into the stalls, taking a moment to look at all the faces gathered there. He looks into the dark corners of the booths, hoping Mom is obscured by the shadows while getting caught up with the latest gossip. She has been known to share a mug of tea with a friend and not notice time passing.

At first, Dad walks calmly but as we get further down the line of stalls, the longer and faster his strides get. At the last booth he whirls around, frantically returning to the stalls we've already passed. He's panicking and drawing looks from people.

Dad doesn't dare call out for Mom or ask for her. He can't. Then people will know she's missing and that'll get her into trouble. Every time someone is travelling out of the region, they have to register with the Settler Warden. (Warden Cardinal for us in 33.) If you don't, you get into a lot of trouble. The GlobalGov might take away your travel privileges for life, or worse, you're chucked into the Silo. I think it's fair to say Mom hadn't checked in for a journeying permit.

At one booth, a bunch of peddlers gather and talk. Dad approaches them. He has a way with words and people and easily inserts himself in the small crowd. We tag along, standing behind him.

The group is discussing the seed vaults: what helped ignite the New Year's War before I was born. The world was drying out and then the sickness hit. Food couldn't grow without nutritious soil, seeds, rain or farmers. People went wild with hunger. In Europe, some headed for the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Norway. They hiked to what was once a frozen and remote island in their attempt to get inside the sacred repository. The old United Nations sent in military and shot anyone who dared take a step towards the precious commodity.

Sebastian backed the U.N. and sent troops too. His reasoning was there were Canadian seeds samples in there too and "the vaults were for everyone." It appears he's now changed his mind.

"Svalbard's down," says a woman in such a low voice I barely hear her. "Sebastian went in last month. Ripped into the collections. Claims it's his right as the Global Government Leader of all Humanity's Treasures."

"That's a farce. He's only the leader of Canada and a bit of the United States," says a man beside Dad. "Is he going after the vault in Brazil? What about the Pavlovsk Experimental Station in Russia?"

"Probably going after them too. With all the seeds and using Aeternians as slaves, his own personal natural resource, he'll be able to take over the world."

The group starts swearing.

"I heard it from a Moto," mutters the woman.

"You've talked to one of them about this?" asks a man. "How?"

"One or two are on our side."

"Sebastian is getting bolder," whispers another man. "The only hope we have is the Resistance." He nods to Dad. "We have to keep fighting. No matter what the cost."

"Shut up," someone says bluntly. "Words like that will cost you your life."

"I don't care. I'd rather be free to speak my mind like it was in the past. I can't stand having to pick and choose what I say and worrying if I'll get jailed for it."