Chap 12

~Connor~

I woke with a scream ripping its way through my throat. I jumped out of my bed unable to keep my skin from crawling as I slapped at it in hysteria.

It was so real, why would I dream of something like that! I was now pacing my floor as I tried my hardest to forget the sick images but it was no use. They were burned into my brain and I all I could see when I closed my eyes were of that poor pups eyes dulling as the life was fading from its defenseless form.

And that boy, oh god I felt it all. Every hit and lash, punch, slap. The desperate way his body repelled against the slaughter of the pup.  His very instinct was screaming at him to not do it but the more he refused the worse his beatings got. Till the boy couldn't take it anymore and gave in.

The door slammed open and my whole body jumped in reflex, my wolf already riled from that nightmare. I spun around and bared my already drawn canines at the intruder, crouching low. When I let my wolf calm enough to see who it was I relaxed. I saw Constance, Asher, Cyrus and Tammy spilling in the room as they froze at my wolfs feral warning to back off.

"What happened?" Constance asked her eyes scanning the room just as she was taught.

I was trying to get my breath back under control and stood straight up.

"Nothing, just a bad dream is all" I said convincingly rubbing the back of my short hair in a sheepish way. I forced a guilty smile on my face.

"Did I wake you guys?" Constance cocked a hip out, placing her hand on it in her usual snobbish ways.

"No doofus, we've all been up for hours. It's almost one in the afternoon" she huffed.

"Oh, well my bad then" I said playing it cool but I saw Asher wasn't convinced with my charade.

I glanced behind the group to find noisy pack members trying to see what was going on. I dropped my hands finally and walked towards the crowded door. I wasn't up for having and audience right now.

"I'm going to go eat something" I told them and pushed past them all leaving them confused by the sudden mood change.

Once I was in the kitchen I pulled anything out and a fork and starting stuffing my face. Which turns out was leftover teriyaki chicken. When I was done I threw the container away and turned to take a shower only to be taken by surprise by the least person I was ready to see right now.

Teagan stood in the door way of the kitchen and seem to be watching me closely. There was something different behind those dead eyes today. Something a little more deadly than usual.

"Hi" I said awkwardly.

"How are you?" his eyes were trained on my naked chest. I glanced down in confusion when I it finally hit me, he was talking about yesterday. I reached up and rubbed my chest,

"Fine"

"Why were you screaming?" he asked. His tone held a definite demand to it giving you no option to defy, even if it was in his usual monotone.

I laughed dryly,

"Well look who's asking questions now" I shook my head in disbelief as I walked past him only to have him grab my arm. I gasp snapping my gaze up to his surprised ones. The shocks traveled from one to the other dowsing us in delicious tingles before he snatched his hand away and stepped back. But I swore I felt something more than the buzz of skin to skin contact. Something deeper. I frowned at him, staring at him inquisitively.

It was like a connection that was trying to be established but couldn't quite link together. And understanding that couldn't be fully acknowledged.