Chapter 8. TARGET.

"ARE YOU READY EDITH?" CECELIA ASKED. She was dressed in a thin woollen turtleneck tucked into a flowery printed green skirt that fell to her boots. Far from capitol fashion. Edith met her at the door.

  "Yep, has Cade and Woof already gone down?" She responded breathily following her into the foyer.

   "Yes, Woof took him down early."

   Cecelia was quieter than usual, softly placing her hand on Edith's back to lead her into the empty elevator. Her eyes were red again.

   "How much should I show them?" Edith asked, Cecelia turned to look at the girl. Her mentor was a mess, her eyes puffy, hair strewn from the balcony wind. She immediately pulled her into a hug.

  "I'm so so sorry my dear, you dont deserve one bit of this," Cecelia choked, stumbling a bit when she released her. But she wiped her tears and held her ground, "As for advice, show them as much as possible, but stick to your strengths, you only have ten minutes and they have already gone through half the tributes by the time they will have gotten to you, so you will have to get their attention. Knives will do that, but be careful. One slip up and that attention is gone."

   Edith nodded, stick to the plan they talked about this morning. She knew what she needed to do.

   The elevator stopped moving early, letting a waft of stale, air conditioner breeze waft in from the suite in front of them.

   Inside strutted District 4, leading the pack was an older lady with a sweet smile, her wavy grey hair cascaded down her shoulders. Annie followed in suit. Behind the girls, Finnick Odair strolled in, completely engaged in tactical conversation with his tribute Milo.

  "Mags! You're feeling better!" Cecelia remarked with a brighter smile that easily hid her earlier tears. Cecelia began chatting animatedly, Mags nodding and muttering in a heavy accent in reply. The boys seemed oblivious to the reunion, only breaking from conversation when the door nearly catched Odair's sweatshirt.

    Mags tittered something inaudible with a soft laugh, and the red haired girl shaked Cecelia's hand. She hesitated at first, but Mags whispered something to the girl, and immediately she switched.

  "My name is Annie, this is Milo," she confirmed to Cecelia, Milo gave a small nod and continued talking to Odair allowing Cecelia to introduce Edith to Mags.

   "Good luck today Edith, not that you'll need it," Annie softly smiled and there it was again; something about her smile crooked and caused small dimples to line her cheeks. It made Edith itch the urge to compliment her freckles and start joking and telling stories like she was another Med Kid. Edith was desperate for company in the end.

   "You too Annie," Edith replied with a chuckle of pity for herself. She was screwed and she knew it, not just with training, but with everything. Here she was trying to make friends with a girl who had the ability to gut her like a fish.

   "You better be using knives today, you'd be stupid not to," Annie stated sternly noticing the pity chuckle. The boys immediately perked up. Edith was met with two pairs of blinking boyish eyes, analysing her every muscle.

   Finnick Odair's had a bit more confusion strewn into the mix however.

   Being honest with herself, she hoped he wasn't trying to remember their conversation a few days ago, but instead about her skill level.

  "I will now, and remember what we talked about, believe in yourself and take your time, don't let the timer stress you," Edith beamed, in attempt to
ignore the furrowed, perfect brows to her left.