Chapter 13. THE ARSONIST & THE TIDEMAKER.

EDITH WOKE AT THE SOUND OF PANEM'S ANTHEM. Startled and angry at herself she quickly gathered her strewn items and used the small window to observe her surroundings. From the light in the sky nothing was visible either side. She was safe for now.

The weakened faces of the girl and boy from 6 graced the sky. Tessa Tyler and Klaud Bridger, two other names to be forgotten.

The rain had stopped. She sighed. So no one died while I was asleep? How did I even drift off?

Edith shuddered. Her throat felt croaky, her stomach ached and her teeth felt fuzzy. Her leg wasn't as sore as it once was, only a gnawing sensation was felt drifting lazily: no sting at least but that feeling's not normal. Edith ignored it however, it was probably only because she was stretching the cut.

The girl sighed. Despite how disgusting she felt, she was awake now and no sleep would help her here.

That can't happen again.

Edith gently placed her things down, and hid back behind the desk; it would be too dangerous to move now. Especially if the Careers had moved into the forest without her knowing.

The sun rose after a lifetime of the girl imagining her death within a million different circumstances. A drift of morning air made her feel fresh, awake.

Edith made her move at the brink of dawn: piling her things back into her bag and then she began to trek in the opposite direction of the tunnel.

Any tree would do, she decided once her cut began to ache with each movement of her right leg. Walk for an hour, rest in a tree, move again. As long as I'm moving, they can't get me.

Brushing her fingers against the locket became a calming method. It was smooth and warmed to her touch. This place was too serene she thought, to peaceful. The leaves danced in the wind, gliding effortlessly in a tangle of autumnal hue. The sun glinted, blinking a hazy hello to the girl through the tree line.

"AGH!"

A scream. It was quiet, far but not far enough. Edith froze, her breath stilled. She needed to move. NOW.

At that the Tribute began to retrace her steps, keeping her eyes on the forest where the noise came from. They had to be at least a few minutes walk away, but she sprinted all the same. Edith didn't want to test what a wounded Tribute would do, nor what or who made them scream.

Having not walked far, after an hour she was already back at the station; the sun much higher in the sky than before. But the air felt tight in her throat. Her chest heaved with each breath.

A hazy pale yellow tendril blew through the wind closer to the forest she had retreated from. Where muddy orange leaves flew now carried darkened ebony debree; immediately anything crumbled in the wind.

Shit.

It was slow, it would be a minute before it reached her, she still had time.

Immediately she tightened the mask on, running for cover. Edith sprinted into the tunnel, immediately grasping bandages out of her bag and wrapping them over her bare skin as she ran. She tightened up her jacket zipper, zipping it up completely to hide the exposed skin.

Come on, come on.

Edith made it to the mouth of the tunnel. The tendrils came closer, they were moving in from all sides now. Either it was run in the direction to the zoo or the tunnel.

I know what you're doing Gamemakers. If you want me in danger so badly, I may as well humble you and take your latest challenge.

They wouldnt want to kill me that quickly would they? No, they want to see what a 12 can do again. If they want entertainment, I'll give them entertainment.