Chapter 44. FOR THE HOPE OF IT ALL.

TW: Anxiety/panic attacks.

HE WAS HERS, AND SHE WAS HIS. It was simple enough to put it like that, as neither truly knew how complicated it was to care for someone like they were your entire world. It was foreign, and sifted like sand and ash between the cracks of their fingertips.

For they would drift in and out of consciousness, clinging onto the little wonders between them that made their lives worth living. Because even though they both spent over a year worrying about how that kind of love could become your ruination, it meant the world to them all the same.

It just got to the point where their care for eachother grew larger than either could fathom.

And it was foolish, naive and childish - they knew that. That was the ironic thing, adoring your death sentence.

It was corrosion, rust collecting upon their mirrored facades, walls breaking down like rotted wood under tacky wallpaper.

Edith let herself drift into ignorance over those two years after their first kiss. She could still taste him and the rain on her lips. In and out like the tide. Coaxing herself with the wispy dream of sea air, citrus tea and the heat of a hotter sun.

And don't get her wrong, oh no, she loved it. The bittersweet taste won her over, it was addictive. She needed sedative.

Maybe he gave her that in the end.

Because Edith liked the fantasy, that together; Finnick Odair and Edith Scotch could drop the smirks and blushes, and find solace in eachother.

A Siren and her Sailor.

They were destined to be together, and maybe destined to fail all the same. In the end, Edith believed the stars planned it all down to the last sentence.

From even just a single wish for a life that she could grow old in, and the stars just filled in the blanks.

But that was the thinking of a broken girl of 21 with scarred limbs and a rotted heart - not a 19 year old naive, little girl.

That naive 19 year old was the Edith Scotch that rested in the delicate clutches of Finnick Odair in his Capitol bed, his hair still damp from his bath, both their hands still shaking from the stress of it all.

That Edith hadn't experienced the kind of heartbreak one recieved from their kind of love.

She would have that to come, all in due time, as the stars planned it so.

But for now, this Edith was at peace with her little corner, in the clutches of someone that was hers.

Mine.

That word crossed her mind. She glowed.

She didnt yet know what that word truly meant. Fantasies made her fanciful, living for the hope of it all.

And Edith was abusing that fantasy like a gratifed drug, carving a home for it to ruminate in her veins.

Well it wasn't like their double lives were going away anytime soon, she was going to take advantage of it. She would need it to keep her sane whilst she worked as Snow's pet.

And where Edith was determined to avenge her District of smog and stitches, she was just as determined to find a life for anyone she had ever held close to her heart.

And Finnick was always subconsciously in that picture, and for once, that didn't scare her one bit.

Not one bit at all.