Chapter 38. MONTHS APART.

T/W: Mild description of anxiety/panic attacks and discussion of heavy topics. (Not too heavy, just thought I'd give a heads up since I have put trigger warnings for less)

Also this chapter is written a little different at the beginning to handle a timeskip, hopefully it isn't too jarring :)

5 MONTHS WAS ALL IT TOOK FOR EDITH SCOTCH TO FALL COMPLETELY FOR FINNICK ODAIR.

And yet dialing his number and calling the day after the party where she discovered her feelings was where she really decided how deep she was going to let herself fall.

Because Finnick didn't deserve a story worthy of a star crossed lovers ballad, no he deserved the entire world at his fingertips. Having her would make things more complicated and dangerous than ever before.

But none the less Edith called him each week, danced with him in unnoticed corridors and comforted him when it became all too much; her responsibility as his new, and only friend his age became all too real.

Because during those 5 months, each day Edith sunk a little further into his green sea eyes, and with each slip, each forgotten breath - Edith fell further for him, and it only made her want to be with him less.

Finnick Odair deserved someone by his side always, not a sickening tale of long distance and secrets. Finnick Odair deserved someone who solved problems, not who created new ones.

It wasn't her job to solve this problem. It wasn't her job to do anything. But she wanted to give him what he deserved, which was at the very least a friend.

And as they grew closer as, well, friends, and opened up to eachother more - Edith knew that she wasn't what he needed. And it terrified her and relieved her at the same time.

Because even if she didn't want to call what she felt as love out loud, it was still something. Still alive.

And it wasn't drowning with the ship.

But Edith had other responsibilities.

Johanna Mason and Lucy Hall for example.

It wasn't her job to fix them. It wasn't her job to fix anyone.

But she wanted to do something, to be of some help.

And if she couldn't find her happy ending, then she sure as hell was going to give Finnick, Lucy and Johanna the friendship and distraction they deserve.

How else could she show her love?

°•○°●☆

IT STARTED AT THE END OF JANUARY.

It took her a day to give up and call the idiot.

She originally picked up the phone after lunch, intending to call him.

Edith didn't. She called Tigress, then Hera and then Candy. Pretty much anyone else she knew in order to avoid what she herself to do.

But she dialed his number eventually. Cringing with every clickety press of a button on the phone. She almost severed the phone cord by fiddling with her sharp, manicured nails from her last performance.

His voice made her giddy.

That sweet, hoarse laugh, his kind and silly words.

Finnick was addictive. He made her feel alive. He made her feel free.

"So she calls?" He sang into the phone reciever, slightly breathy. Edith remembered easily how his voice crackled like a taunt.

"She does suprisingly," Edith beamed, biting her lip. The phone cord coiled loosely round her finger.