Chapter 53. BONE MARROW.

TW: Description of gore and violence.

AN EIGHT AND A SIX, NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE PACK, AND NOT BAD ENOUGH TO BE CULLED. That was what left a sour taste in each of their mouths, but the sweet, decadent frosting atop the carrot cake removed the bitter sting at least for the duration of time the decadence sat on their tongues.

"Happy birthday Charley!" Candy beamed, rushing through the foyer, "Sorry I got held up and couldn't join you guys for the grading this afternoon, I made sure I could get here for this though!" she crushed the bony kid in a wide hug, Raena giggling softly at Charley's construed face. Safe to say half his face was covered now in powdered talc but he ended up with a grimacing smile none the less.

"I do hope you all realise my birthday is still two days away?" He retracted his grimace taking another bite of cake. A haze rested over his features, as if he wouldn't dare let the world see the cracks behind his facade, even if it would be the death of him.

"Better celebrating now then never," Cecelia huffed, serving another slice of the boy's favourite desert for Candy.

"Did you have a Escort meeting Candy?" Edith asked nonchalantly, flicking through her notes she took from the grading results program held that afternoon. Seneca had casually hinted at a big event in the Games this year again - worrying her to no end that Snow would make sure the Ganes this year wouldn't end day 1.

"Um, yes I did, incredibly boring," she huffed indignantly, "Now you two, and eight Charley, and a six for you Raena! Congratulations! Both higher than average, you'll get Sponsors for sure."

Edith hummed, breaking the awkward silence, "Oh, right, Teal mustn't have showed up then, she came up to our suite with Johanna half an hour before."

Candy gulped, "You know what Teal's like. Ditched me again. Come on, I want to hear all about your scores! Or not if that's a bit too morbid for an early birthday party..."

"Well, come on you two, let's move to the lounge, Edith and Candy will join us in a moment," Cecelia stated kindly. She gave Edith a warning glance as she guided the Tributes out of the kitchen, the brunette rolling her eyes.

Something seemed to make Edith itch, just the small things. Candy's spacing out, late when she'd usually be the one making sure they'd arrive on time; it was an never ending itch that Edith couldn't help but acknowledge.

"I dont think Hunger Games talk is wanted tonight Candy, we still haven't heard from the Career Mentors yet..." Edith muttered to Candy once left alone in the room.

Candy's eyes widened, holding her tongue with begrudging patience until Cecelia closed the door.

"Still?! They propose an alliance and even hours after scores are announced they don't even have the decency to send someone up to confirm whether they still want to go ahead with it?" Candy whispered.

Edith sighed, hiding her bare hands in her pockets instinctively, "I mean, maybe that says something. Charley got a good enough score, same as that Starlia girl from 1. But, Raena... they know that both of them are a package deal alliance wise, if they don't think she's worthy to join them, then Charley most likely isn't either-"

Candy sighed, "Hey, look at me, they've got this okay? We know that the Careers this year want to end it Day 1. So if they don't want them joining their plan to kill everyone at the Bloodbath for a Career Deathmatch, maybe that's a good thing. If they run, they'll be the underdogs. They have good enough scores to attract Sponsors, and if we play the interviews right..."

"I know, I just can't stop thinking about- wait, did you hear that?"

Edith peered her head round to the foyer, a light knocking sound echoed from round the corner.