Chapter 1

Snakes of lightning flashed above the sky followed by the dreadful sound of the thunderclap . The rain continuesly poured down from the dark clouds hovering over the sky. In a small village near a wild forest , a small incomplete family living in a thatched roofed muddy house is currently facing a rough situation .

There's no food , money , warm clothes and quilts that could let them survive the rainy cold season . Harsh winds occasionally blow the roof of the thatched roof threathening to fly away with any more forceful wind . There's not even a light or fire burning in the fireplace that could make them feel more warm and comfortable. What is more difficult is that there's a water leaking down from the roof hitting and making the whole cramped house damp and wet .

A four years old baby could be seen hugging a teenager's waist with a weak body . The baby had long since stopped crying and could just reserve her strength from remaining still or motionless . The drowsy eyes of the baby slowly opened and looked up to stare at the sleeping boy leaning on the mud wall . The body of the boy was cold like a corpse . The baby doesn't know anything and got confused why the boy stopped breathing .

" Brother " a weak and hoarse milky voice called out to the boy .

The toddler then tapped her small hands to the boy's cheeks trying to wake the boy up . " Wake up , wakey wakey . "

The teenager remained sleeping . Rose , the toddler , stopped moving and laid her head on his lap . In the quiet house , the sound of her belly grumbling from hunger quietly resonated but Rose was already accostumed with this .

The appearance of the baby looked so poor and malnourished . Her cheeks that were supposed to be soft and plumpy were currently sunken due to malnutrition . Her lips are also chapped and dry causing the toddler to have difficulties in speaking.

A loud defeaning thunderclap suddenly rang out throughout the whole village causing the motionless baby to flinch from surprise . After that defeaning thunderclap passed , a small breathing came back from the nose of the dead teenager .

The small toddler moved and hugged her sleeping brother , trying to find security within his embrace .

The teenager then started moving and subconsciously embraced the toddler and patted her trembling shoulders .

" Ah? Brother? You're finally awake . "

Hearing such soft and milky voice , the curly long eyelashes of the teenager trembled and slowly opened , revealing a pair of cold , yet attractive obsidian eyes that seems to glow with blue light in the dark like a beast finally opening its eyes from a long slumber . The sight of the thin toddler welcomed his blurry vision . The teenager moved his hand and weakly rubbed his eyes . Then his sight gradually cleared as he finally saw the face of the toddler more clearly .

A thought the came up to his head . ' who is this small cub? '

" Brother! " Rose smiled brightly and hugged him excitedly . " You've been sleeping for a long time . Thankfully you're awake . "

The boy remained silent and stared at the girl before nodding and sat up properly . He then swept his eyes over the cramped space and couldn't help frowning . This place isn't the room he rented in the base .

His attention then was suddenly diverted to the little girl's belly which had been grumbling a lot of times . " You're hungry . " Not a question but a conclusion .

Rose subconsciously touched her small belly and nodded . " Brother , we don't have any food now and it's been two days since we had last eaten our supper . I'm so weak and couldn't collect woods to sell anymore . "