Chapter 2: Ruins

A/N: Goat Mooooooooom

This is a bit late but I had to rewrite a section due to it giving away something I didn't want to give away just yet. Hopefully it's not too obvious.

---

"Welcome to your new home, Frisk. Allow me to educate you in the operation of the Ruins."

I enter the room, where Frisk is already waiting, and look around. A door is on the far end of the room, closed. A sign hangs by it. To my right are several buttons on the floor, some on top of a path. A switch is on the wall above the buttons.

"The Ruins are full of puzzles, ancient fusions of diversions and doorkeys. You must solve them in order to proceed. Why don't you try solving this one?"

Frisk nods and they go to observe the puzzle. After a moment, they walk on all the buttons that aren't on top of the path. They then flick the lever, and the door opens.

"Excellent job, my child!" Toriel exclaims. "Now, there are many puzzles like this one in the Ruins, so please get used to the sight of them. Come along." Frisk and I follow Toriel out of the room into the next. This one, much larger, has a long hallway, with several paths branching out from the main one. Switches are lined up against the wall, and a sign is sitting nearby.

"There are several switches you need to trigger in order to make progress here. See if you can figure out which ones!"

Frisk looked at the sign.

"*Stay on the path, please," I read aloud. Frisk looks from the sign to the path, then walks down the path. They follow several branches of the path, flipping all of the levers that lied at the end of these branches. The correct switches, unlike normal, were not labelled. When they hit the last switch, there was a rumbling noise from the end of the room.

"Splendid! You are doing great, my child. Let us move on to the next room." We walked into the next room, this one much smaller. A training Dummy sat in the center of the room. "As a human in the Underground, monsters may act a bit more... hostile to you. But do not worry. When a monster attacks you, you will enter a battle. While in a battle, There are many different options you have, but it is best to act peacefully and do not fight. In fact, if you act a certain way, you can resolve the battle peacefully! You can check information about the monster too, which can give you clues as to how you spare the monster. How about you try on this training dummy?"

Frisk approached the dummy, reaching out to touch it. When they did touch it, their Soul appeared in front of them, and they entered a fight.

*You encountered the training dummy!

Fight

>Action
Actions:
>Check
Act

Item

Mercy

Okay, what?

Wasn't the option to Act? And then it would give us different Acts Frisk could do? Right now, it just said Action and Act. What was that supposed to mean?

Regardless, Frisk chose to Check.

"*The training dummy. Attack 0, Defense 0. A cotton heart and a button eye, you are the apple of my eye," I recite.

"Now, my child," Toriel says, entering the battle. "Now that you've taken a turn, it would be the monster's turn to attack. As you will most likely will have to go through several turns, you need to be able to dodge. Do not be alarmed."

Frisk readied themself as Toriel summoned a few basic bullet patterns. Luckily, the attack patterns are so ridiculously basic Frisk barely has to move, and they're not hit at all. Heck, they could have done it asleep and not be hit. "Very good! Now, try Acting. Strike up a friendly conversation, stall for time so I can come and resolve the conflict. Or you could try to calm things yourself!"