Chapter 6: Shake My Hand

A/N: Finally! The tedious and slightly angsty part of this story is over. No more emotions until Waterfall.

Anyways. Holy shit a skeleton

---

"We're past the hard part. Come on, let's get going."

Frisk stood up rather suddenly and pushed the doors behind us open.

I was wrenched out of my thoughts instantly. How long had we been sitting here? I wasn't really paying attention. It didn't feel long. But something told me it was. And what does Frisk mean we're past the hard part? Toriel was the easiest of fights we would face. Maybe they meant emotionally.

Frisk marched down the path, a determined look in their eyes. It felt a bit refreshing, after the emotional train ride of whatever just happened.

The path was flattened out snow. Pine trees, their branches covered in snow, lined the path. It still amazes me how it managed to snow under a mountain. Or really, how this much could fit under a mountain. It's wild.

Halfway down the path, I realized Frisk was shaking. I quickly checked to see if they were okay, then realized they were just shivering. They seemed past whatever happened back at the Toriel fight.

A bit later, Frisk found a branch on the ground. The same branch that a certain monster would step on, breaking, alerting us to his presence. Only Frisk picked up the branch now. They snapped off a few sticks, shortening it slightly.

"Not much, but it'll work," They said, placing it in their inventory.

I realized then that Frisk hasn't had any sort of weapon this entire time.

Oh well. They haven't needed one yet. And hopefully, they won't.

Walking a little more, Frisk and I ended up at the bridge. Bars were placed on the bridge, with a gap big enough for us to cross through.

"Human."

"Oh my god it's Ness Earthbound," Frisk whispered. I gave them a quizzical look as the footsteps of an approaching figure got louder.

"Don't you know how to greet a new pal? Turn around and shake my hand."

Frisk did exactly that, causing the whoopie cushion in Sans' hand to go off. He grinned.

"heheh... the old whoopie cushion in the hand trick. it's ALWAYS funny."

I took in the figure in front of us. Like Toriel, Sans looked a bit different that normal. He was still a skeleton, slightly shorter than Frisk, with a grey shirt and black shorts. The main difference was his jacket. Instead of blue, it was now a vibrant green.

"anyways, you're a human, right?"

Frisk nodded.

"that's hilarious. i'm sans. sans the skeleton. i'm actually supposed to be on the watch for humans right now."

"You don't seem to be doing that right now." Frisk pointed out.

"well, i'm watching you."

"He's got a point," I say, despite knowing no one can hear me.

"but, although it's my job, i don't really care about capturing anybody. now my brother, papyrus... he's a human hunting FANATIC. hey, actually, i think that's him over there."

Frisk and I turned around to see a tall figure in the distance, approaching rapidly.

"i have an idea. go through this gate thingy. the bars were made too wide to stop anyone."