Chapter 5: Heartache

A/N: In the original version of this boss fight, before I changed one of the mechanics, one of Chara's narrator lines was: "The fire's blazing hot, but yet you have chills." It's the one thing I was a bit mad about cutting when I changed the mechanic, but I kinda rewrote it and worked it in.

Anyways, pull up your popcorn, things are about to get electrifying.

---

Frisk woke up about an hour later. They had forgotten they were in Toriel's house, so they panicked when they woke up, but soon composed themself. After that, they had noticed the pie and stuffed it in their inventory.

"Alright, let's get going," they mutter as they open the door and walk down the hallway. They stop in the main room. The door is to their left, stairs leading down are against the wall to their left. Past the main room, we have a clear view of the dining room. Toriel is sitting in her chair, reading a book, presumably on snails. There's a strong scent of cinnamon coming from the kitchen.

They walk in and Toriel promptly looks up from her book. "Ah, good morning, my child! I hope you slept well!"

"I did indeed. And thanks for the pie."

Toriel smiles. "My child... Frisk, I want you to know how glad I am to have someone here."

Frisk tenses ever so slightly.

"There are so many old books I want to share. I want to show you my favorite bug hunting spot. And I have prepared a curriculum for your education. This might be a surprise, but I've always wanted to be a teacher."

"No, really?" Frisk says sarcastically. Toriel laughs.

"Perhaps that isn't so surprising. Still. I am glad to have you living here."

Frisk nods and leaves the room.

They go back to the hallway and lean against the wall, looking conflicted. Their back is towards Toriel, and she's gone back to reading. Frisk stays like that for a minute, then they finally speak.

"Sorry goat mom," They sighed.

And then they booked it down the stairs.

I didn't even comprehend this until Frisk was already towards the bottom of the stairs. What were they thinking? Toriel would come grab us any second now and bring us back downstairs. Frisk had to prompt her to leave, and they always have had to. So why just bolt?

I hear Toriel yelling Frisk's name upstairs, getting closer and Frisk rounds the corner. Forward, getting closer, were a set of big doors. Doors that lead out of the Ruins, to the rest of the Underground. Frisk sprinted to these doors, practically throwing themself into it. The doors did not budge.

I heard footsteps.

Frisk threw themself on to the floor as a lightning bolt was launched at the door. Had they not moved, it would have hit them right in the back. They jump to their feet and whip around. Toriel stood there, her hand crackling with electricity.

Okay, that's much different than normal. Toriel had fire powers, she always has in previous runs. This was quite the change.

"What are you doing, Frisk? Go back upstairs."

Frisk, after a moment, shook their head.

"You do not understand. Beyond that door is dangers you-"

"Beyond this door is the rest of the Underground," Frisk cut her off. "And my way home."

"My child... if you leave the Ruins, they... Asgore... will kill you. It is much safer here, where I can protect you! I can give you a home, keep you safe! Isn't that what you want?"