Chapter 9: Dogsong

A/N: I like to imagine as the Gauntlet goes on, Nyeh Heh Heh! is just slowing down. Only a bit at a time, but enough that it's recognizably getting slower as Paps realizes he has no idea what he's doing.

Also, just to be safe, I'm marking chapters that have blood. One can never be too careful.

Mentions of blood from " 'Or, you could just stop during orange attacks...' " to "I knew we were now entering Snowdin Town..." It's towards the end of the chapter and skipping it does not effect your overall understanding of the story.

---

The next room was another X puzzle, only this time, it was on a large patch of ice, earning an annoyed look from Frisk. Using their stick for balance, they awkwardly slid around the patch, hitting the Xs all out of order but managing to solve the puzzle anyways. I watched, confused. Frisk had never had much trouble sliding on ice before, and often did it in a linear pattern. Now, they were slipping and sliding all over the place, loosing their balance and face planting on to the button that let us proceed. They then slid down the narrower path, another tree dumping snow on them, catching them off guard and making them fall yet again. 

"I hate ice," They muttered once they reached the end, brushing the snow off them. Sans, who was waiting for us there, was laughing.

"that was quite entertaining. you okay kid?"

"My dignity is in shambles but all my bones are in tact," Frisk responded. "I hope." They took a moment to catch their breath, then headed downwards. The path that had so gradually inclined as we progressed now dipped downward and ended off suddenly after Frisk took a right and walked a bit. A cabin with the inside lights on could be seen a bit farther down. I remember seeing this, but... it seemed closer. Frisk sat down, legs dangling over the edge, and waited. After a few minutes, the door opened, and out walked what looked like a teenage monster. She held the door open for a much smaller monster, presumably her younger sibling. The older one looked up, and Frisk waved. She waved back. They stood up and walked away, back up the path, and headed to the right, into the next area.

"*A snow poff," I say as Frisk observes one of the many small piles of snow in this room.

"*And this... is a snow poff." They hear as they observe the next.

"*This, however, is a snow poff."

"*Surprisingly, it's a snow poff."

"*Snow poff..."

"*Is it really a snow poff?"

"*Behold! A snow poff."

"*Eh? There's 30G inside this... what is this?"

Frisk pocketed the 30G and approached the final poff, which was blocking the way forward. They bent down to observe it, and a small white dog poked its head out.

"Awww."

The dog barked, then stood up, towering over Frisk and I, in a full suit of armor, gripping a spear. 

"Okay, not really as cute."

"It's the Greater Dog!" 

Frisk Acted, as always, and beckoned the dog closer. Greater Dog barked, then bounded towards Frisk, slobber going everywhere. As I saw Frisk's look of mild disgust, I was suddenly glad I was incorporeal. 

Greater Dog attacked, sending three spears towards Frisk's Soul. The spears switched between white and orange. Frisk took a few steps backwards, and when they all turned orange, charged through them. They skidded to a stop and Acted, holding their hand out. Greater Dog placed itself underneath Frisk's hand, and they scratched the dog's head. Frisk sat down and Greater Dog put its head in their lap as Frisk pet, and it slowly fell asleep. Then it woke back up and attacked, using the same attack as previously. Frisk Acted after that, pulling their stick out of their inventory and throwing it to the other end of the room. Greater Dog chased after it, grabbed it with its mouth, and ran back, proudly dropping the stick at Frisk's feet.