𝚂𝚒𝚡

Luna

I have watched endless shows and read eternal books – none of them prepared me for this moment. We always hear the tragic story of heartbreak, scoffing at the antagonistic girl as she spinelessly weeps for the lost love and her unmendable heart. We always look down on that girl, scrutinizing her cowardly behavior – until we become that girl. That's when it all starts to make sense. The stories try to teach us that we don't need love – I believe that to be a fallacy. We all need love, we just never want the potential heartbreak that comes with it – written in fine print, but no one ever reads the terms and conditions. Relationships are just like warranties – I have yet to find something that is eternally promised. It seems that mine and Austin's warranty has officially expired.

I feel the dissecting gazes penetrating my skull as I sluggishly walk down the hallways. News travels fast and the people that weren't at the party were informed by friends about the public events that transpired. Who can resist a juicy story? For one, the person who the story is about. I am used to the staring – but the looks of pity make my stomach churn. I am not some defenseless lamb left vulnerable. I am taken by surprise as if a lion had just maimed me – it would hurt less than this, at least the lion would eventually be done with me, and I would be dead. I remain frozen as I witness Austin with his arm around Cynthia's shoulder – strutting like models on the runway. He whispers in her ear and the bothersome sight feels static to the heart. My breath hitches as they approach, and my legs react before my mind could catch up as I sprint into the nearest restroom – I clutch my tightened chest as I use the wall for support. My legs shake before I slide down to the ground as I attempt to choke back a sob, but it escapes my miserable clutches.

"Snow." The voice barely registers in my mind.

I glance up but the tears block my vision. I excessively blink until the tears wash away – Hudson standing a few feet away with an unlit cigarette dangling from his lips.

"What are you doing in the girl's room?" I harshly rub my eyes not wanting to cry in front of him.

"I'm not." He states. "You're in the men's room."

I glance around the unkempt room, gasping as the urinal is in plain sight.

"You have got to be kidding me." I groan, shoving my head in my hands. "Could this day get any worse?"

"Your ex could walk in." He smugly replies as if my heartbreak is comedic material.

"So, you heard that it's official." I state with a roll of my eyes.

"It's all over social media. The public display was a dead giveaway though." He states as he reaches into his back pocket and grasps his phone, effortlessly scrolling through it before showing me the screen. A video of Austin and I fighting at his party was showcased on the narrow screen.

"Practically five-hundred likes overnight." He replies as he glances at the dramatic dispute on the phone.

"Isn't that great."

He slides his phone back into his pocket before lighting the cigarette. I glanced at him as if Ted Bundy was standing in front of me.

"Are you crazy?" I exclaim. "You can set off the smoke alarms!"

He casually exhales the toxic smoke and shrugs.

"That's the plan." He leans against the wall. "I have an English test I never studied for."

I scoff at his blatant disregard for education, wincing at the oncoming migraine. It's made worse by the piercing shrill of the smoke alarm. I deliver a deadly glare in Hudson's direction.