Nɪɴᴇ

Luna

Heartbreak – what a vague term to describe something. Why would they call it heartbreak when every part of you feels broken too – emotionally and physically. It's tragic how the ones you would run through fires for are the most likely to turn you into ashes. I loved Austin, not because I needed to but because I wanted to. I have never wanted to love someone, or something, as much as I loved him. I was the only one that felt that way. The worst part is still loving someone even after all the bad. I gaze around my bedroom – photographs of Austin and I litter my walls. It's like I made a shrine of him. Now I feel even more pathetic.

I glance in the mirror and my brain stutters at the figure standing behind me. Without even thinking I grab the nearest pillow and hit the figure with all my might.

"You seriously grabbed a pillow for an intruder?" The taunting voice speaks as he tries to shield himself from my feathery strikes.

"Seriously, how did you get into my house?" I question as I attempt to catch my breath.

"Your front door." He states as if I have just asked the most outrageous question in history.

"Makes sense." I internally slap myself.

His eyes flicker around my room darting from corner to corner until they befall on the dust-covered canvas wedged into the corner. He steps closer and I am unable to see his expression as his back is turned to me. His shoulders are tense as he glances at me.

"You gave up on art?" He seems apathetic.

"Kind of." I regretfully replied. His mom bought me that canvas for my sixth birthday.

"You used to love it." He doesn't move, instead, he gently runs his fingers down the edges of the canvas

"I used to love a lot of stuff that I don't do anymore." I shrug.

"Yeah, but you loved painting – no one should ever give up something they love that much."

I don't reply – not even sure how to. I awkwardly cast my gaze to the wall across from me, noticing him turning around from the corner of my eye.

"Why did you sneak into my house?" I unsubtly attempt to change the subject.

"Firstly," He raises his finger. "I didn't sneak in, I was let in." He raises a second finger. "Secondly, I needed to run an idea by you." He speaks directly. "Hear me out before saying anything."

Those words bring a chill to my spine. This is already off to a bad start. I get a heavy feeling in my stomach. When Hudson has a smug look on his face it's a sign to run.

"Well, since you and Chambers called it quits and you don't want to seem pathetic because he's moved on so quickly – I have a proposition." His voice restrained. "We should date, or at least pretend we're dating."

My brain feels as if it has short-circuited. I can't help but release a quick bark of laughter at his words. What kind of joke is this?

"Think about it." He starts. "What would annoy jockstrap more than you dating me – the person he despises the most on this entire planet, it's a perfect revenge."

I think over his words hating how much it makes sense, but something about the situation is concerning.

"What's in it for you?" I question with folded arms.

"It will get Stacy Henderson off my back." He scoffs. "She sent me five texts just on the way to your house and I live across the street!"

I bite my lip as I digest his suggestion. Am I considering this? There is so much that can go wrong. Would anyone even believe that we would date? Hudson and I haven't gotten along in years, why would people believe we've suddenly developed feelings? We're not even friends.