Twenty

Luna

I woke up the next day feeling as if I could take on the world. I got into Berkeley and mended things with Hudson. A beep on my laptop signifies an email and I curiously take a seat at my desk. An email from Stanford. I take a nervous gulp before opening it. I got accepted. I had been waiting for this email for months. It was once the only thing on my mind, my only life's purpose. I feel pride for being accepted, but I feel even prouder for deleting the email. I've already made my choice. For the first time in a long time, I'm choosing for myself. I exit my bedroom feeling satisfied. I get ready to meet up with Maya, tonight is Prom Night, and she has an itinerary of all the things that needs to be done.

"Where are you going?" The familiar husky voice calls as I reach my car.

"To get ready for prom, I have to look good for my date." I playfully wink.

Hudson chuckles and leans down for a chaste kiss.

"Your date is one lucky guy." He plays along. "I'm a little jealous."

"You should be." I mock. "Do you promise not to cause any trouble tonight?"

He puckers his lips in thought and strokes his chin.

"You know I can't promise you that." If I didn't know Hudson, I would think he's just kidding, but I know that's not the case. Everywhere Hudson goes, trouble follows. "I guess I'll see you tonight, Snow." The once dreaded nickname now alluringly rolls off his tongue.

"I guess you will," I grin. "And we're not taking your bike."

"Wouldn't dream of it." He calls over his shoulder as he struts home.

Hudson

I gaze at the vehicle like a parent gazes at their newborn right after birth. To think a few months ago this car was going to be used for scrap metal, but through the rust and missing parts, it rose through the ashes and is now reborn. I trace the brand new exterior for anything we may have missed, but it looks as good as the day it was manufactured.

"For a while, I never thought it was going to be done in time for prom." My dad says admiring our beautiful work.

"I had the same doubts," I admit. "But, hard work always pays off." I grin and scope out the vintage Bentley.

An old client of my dad's brought it to his shop and told him if he can fix it he can have it. It was supposed to be a side project for us over the summer but when Luna and I started dating for real, I knew I needed to get this running for prom.

"I'm proud of you." My dad speaks with uncharacteristic gentleness. "For deciding to go to college after all."

"Well, if I want to be like my dad I figured I might as well start at his alma mater." I grin.

He chuckles and tosses a rag which I catch with ease.

"You better get ready, you don't want to be late picking Luna up." I glance at the time on the phone and curse before bolting to my bedroom.

It takes me longer than anticipated to get ready but I still have time to spare. I walk over to the Delgato's house with my dad - he insisted on coming along to join in on the embarrassing pictures. Her parents eagerly greet us at the door and her mother calls for Luna.

It takes a few minutes until I hear the sound of her heels clinking against their rusty floorboards. I gaze up the stairs and my heart flutters as if I've seen an angel. Her emerald dress flows out around her, but her beaming smile steals the show. I meet her at the bottom of the stairs and hold her hand already knowing Mrs. Delgato's photograph routine. I don't mind the pictures this time. This is a memory I want to cherish forever.