Eʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

Hudson

Halloween – the time we get to be someone other than ourselves. I, however, never saw Halloween that way. I always saw it as a way of mirroring the monsters within us – because no matter how hard we try to hide; we all have monsters inside of us just waiting to break free. Our school hosts a Halloween party every year – and I have taken delight in the fact that I have never attended. Until this year. This year I have a girlfriend that loves nothing more than this festive time, and now I am a few days away from having to endure the torture of being surrounded by people I despise. The Halloween decorations, from the skeletons to the zombies, are littered all around the school just waiting to pop up and scare you.

"I hate Halloween." I mutter as Luna digs around in her locker.

"That's because you're a fun killer." She replies with a harsh slam of her locker.

"Or I don't feel the need to be someone else."

"Well, some of us need an escape from our chaotic minds."

"I happen to like the chaos swarming in my mind." I scoff as I toss an arm over her shoulder, sulkily maneuvering through the annoyingly chirpy people.

"Anyway, what are we dressing up as?" She questions.

"It's bad enough I have to go, and now I have to dress up." I scoff.

"Yes, you do." She firmly states. "Try not to steal anything this time."

"No promises." I wickedly grin.

She rolls her eyes, pushing past me to enter the classroom first. I begrudgingly trail after her as we take our usual seats in the middle. I lean forward in my seat, deep in thought. A devious thought enters my mind and the upturn of the corner of my lip is unconscious.

"Fine, we can wear costumes." Her eyebrows furrow. "Only if I get to pick them out."

"Why am I suddenly terrified?"

I lean back in my seat with satisfaction.

"Oh, snow, you should be terrified."

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

"She's going to murder you." Maya spills the second she sees the outfits I picked out.

I asked her to come with me to the costume store and her curiosity was too piqued to say no.

"She'll love it." I state, but I don't even believe my own words.

This opportunity is too humorous to pass up.

"I will start working on your eulogy." She cleverly replies.

"Very funny." I scoff.

I know Maya is only trying to be humorous, but a voice in the back of my mind knows she's right. Luna is going to murder me.

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

I entered our garage after brutal double-period chemistry to see my dad already at work covered in oil stains.

"How was school?" He questions as he continues his work on the car engine.

"It was school," I speak as I grab my overalls. "You started without me."

"I thought it would help you fix it quicker; it seems pretty urgent to you."

I nod my head with the slightest hint of a smile.

"It is."

"Are you ever going to tell me why you're fixing it up?"

I chuckle as I up to him, playfully nudging him.