VII. Promise

It hit me like a ton of bricks

I was about to run away and break her heart again.
How much time have you been waiting? How many tears have you swallowed? This is the closest I have been to Jisoo's feelings and I don't know what to do.
But one thing is sure I'll be by her side forever.

I ran towards Jisoo's room with the old book in my hands. All the maids looked at me surprised and I swear I saw a smile on Mr. Williams' face.

This time you will look at me. This time you will listen to me. This time...

Like a storm, I opened her door and she looked at me dumbfounded. I was trying hard to catch my breath her eyes met mine but she looked away quickly.
"Jisoo..." I said exhausted. She looked at my hand I was holding tightly her diary
"Throw it away" she muttered
"I won't" I replied to her stepping forward
"I said throw it away!" she screamed trying to snatch the book out of my hands
"And I said I won't" I said to her firmly

Her eyes looked defeated. She turned her back from me and took a deep breath before going to the window.

"Jisoo please look at me" I almost whispered
"Why do you make things so complicated? You can just run to your hometown and leave me. It would be easier for me" she said
"Do you want me to leave?" I asked her but she didn't answer me
"Jisoo, do you want me to leave you?" I asked one more time trying to hold her hand

Nothing. Just silence a deep and long silence.

"Please Jisoo, look at me" I pleaded "Please tell me what to do..."

"Stop" she said finally facing me. Her eyes were glossy she was holding her tears so hard and I can feel the pain in my heart.
"Stop doing this to me. One day you will be scared of me, one day you will be tired of me, one day you will—"
"I won't" I interrupted her "I will be here until my last breath. You showed me that not all rich people are the same. You're warm and kind. You told me we are friends right? I will be your friend I will show you amazing things"

 You told me we are friends right? I will be your friend I will show you amazing things"

And just like that, the tears started to flow on her face. She was vulnerable. She was crying her heart out. All the tears she had deep inside finally came out.
I hugged her tightly. Telling her everything I am, all my body, heart and soul is on my embrace.

"He left me..." she said sobbing
"I know" I replied to her rubbing her hair
"And I don't know why I'm still waiting" she said hugging me even tighter
"It's okay" I said
"And..." she finally broke our embrace and looked straight into my eyes "I don't want you to leave. Since I met you my days have been different, I'm happier by your side" she muttered the last part

I wiped her tears and told her "Then don't push me away ever again"
"I won't" she replied me with a small smile
"A promise?" I asked her
"A promise" she said

I told Jisoo to rest since she still look weak 'maybe it's because she hasn't drunk enough blood' I thought.

"Taehyung" she said softly
"Yes?" I replied her while putting her on bed
"I'm sorry" she answered
"Don't worry" I said while fixing her hair "I'll be here tomorrow morning, just try to rest a bit" I finished
"How much did you read?" She asked flustered
"Not much" I lied "good night Jisoo" I said to her before leaving her room.

Everything was calm then. I walked towards my cabin. I saw my suitcase on the door. Just hours ago I wanted to run away but now all I want to do is stay.

I can't sleep my thoughts are eating me alive.
Maybe I made a mistake. Maybe her heart will not change with time. Maybe she will be in love with him forever but I'm okay. I'm feeling okay with just being her friend.

If you promise to not push me away again I'll promise to keep my feelings just for myself.

That was what I thought but you know what they said...Promises are meant to be broken.

Promises are meant to be broken