• xxi •

❝I can see why you thought what you did. I suppose I am not an easy person to trust. And maybe I ought not to be trusted, but let me say this: I trust you.❞

cardan greenbriar, the queen of nothing

This was it. Today was the day. I had woken up earlier than the rest since I had the last two watch shifts—one with Finnick and the other with Johanna. Between the shifts after we'd woken Johanna, we'd discussed the plan and who was going with who and when. I was nervous about separating Peeta and Katniss. Peeta seemed to be the only thing that kept Katniss breathing in the arena, and forcing her away from him was likely to not have good consequences. We talked solely about the plan, about the lovebirds, about catching Brutus and Enobaria. There's much left unsaid between us, but we didn't dare say more. Sentimentality would get us killed before our enemies do.

I was sitting on the beach, looking through our food while Johanna cleaned her ax next to me. With the plan already set and with no other choice but to wait for midnight or another sign from Plutarch, I decided there was no harm in wasting time. My trident was as sharp and clean as could be, and everyone was alert and on their guard. I stood up, brushing the sand off my butt before scooping the basket of shellfish in my arm.

"I'm gonna clean the food," I announced.

The others looked at me. Beetee asked, "Why?"

I bared my teeth in a sharp grin. "Well, if we're gonna kill Brutus and Enobaria tonight, then we should have a properly prepared feast." I turned away and marched through the jungle before the others could object. I made sure they were still in eyesight and I in theirs as I settled on a tree to drill the spile in. I was able to get a steady stream going over the bowl, soaking the shellfish inside. Using the steady stream of water, one by one I cleaned each mussel and oyster of any sand or grime (or blood) stuck on them. The process was simple and easy. Therapeutic even. My hands stayed steady and my breathing stayed even. In and out. In and out.

In. I ripped the spile from its hole in the trunk. And out.

It's amazing how normal it felt for my trident to be strapped to my back. I'd expected fishing with it to feel unfamiliar, but after a few twirls it was like I'd been training with it all this time. If anything, the scythes I used were heavier and nowhere near as balanced as my trident now. It was better than muscle memory. Amos flashed in my mind faster than I could stop him.

When I returned with the cleaned food Katniss and Peeta were sitting a little farther down the beach. Finnick and Beetee were conversing a foot deep into the water, the wire cradled in Beetee's arms like a child. I placed the bowl down before sitting on the mat next to Johanna. She reached to grab one, mumbling about something as I turned my head back to the couple. I heard the parachute's chime before seeing it. District Three sent another 24 rolls, allowing us to equally divide them again. The rest of our allies joined us to eat in silence. It was quite a feast, though. Finished, Katniss stood up, tugging on Peeta's arm.

"Come on, I'll teach you to swim." Peeta got up and followed her without another word. They took off far enough from them for me to notice the tension in Katniss. I hadn't missed the looks she had given us.

"Katniss has been paranoid all day," Johanna muttered. "They're probably thinking about what happens after we get rid of Brutus and Enobaria. How they're gonna kill us all." She cackled as she tossed a piece of food in her mouth.

"Oh, really now?" I quirked an eyebrow. I started prying open a piece and snorted. "They wouldn't stand a chance if we actually tried to kill them."

"Oh, none at all."