• xxii •

❝GO! REMEMBER!❞

jason grace, the burning maze

SIX WEEKS AGO 

"I'M CLOSING THE DOORS."

"NO! WE NEED TO GET HER," Finnick screamed out into the arena ablaze with fire. "PALLAS!"

Finnick held steadfast to the hinge of the aft door, refusing to let them close the ramp. He couldn't see anything. If only Pallas could just signal, scream, do anything. How were they supposed to rescue her when they couldn't find her?

"Finnick, enough!" Haymitch grabbed Finnick's arm, the injured one bleeding from where he sliced out his tracker. But Finnick didn't feel it. All he could feel was the panic rising in his chest. "It's too late!"

"No-No!" Finnick tried to shake him off, but the adrenaline was wearing down on him. He snapped his head back to Haymitch, eyes briefly glancing at the medics working on an unconscious Katniss on a gurney. Peeta and Johanna were still in the arena, too. With Pallas.

Pallas, Pallas, Pallas.

Finnick got Katniss and Beetee out. Where had Pallas and Johanna been?

"Pallas knew the risks." Haymitch hissed. "Now we have to leave, or we're all done for."

All of a sudden, the whirring of an enemy hovercraft sounded in their ears. The Capitol was here to collect the remaining tributes. Plutarch Heavensbee was yelling.

"Drag him! We need to leave. Now!"

"I'm sorry, Finnick," Haymitch said.

Finnick felt his resolve crumble, and Haymitch unlatched him from the ramp and brought him to a gurney. He could feel his chest caving in on itself as a medic sat him on a seat, strapped him in place, and examined him as the hovercraft took off from the arena. He sat next to the emergency door, where he could see through the window the fiery jungle get smaller and smaller. Everything was so far away now. Maybe this was shock, because he couldn't feel anything anymore.

He realized he wanted Annie. He wanted Annie in his arms, comforting him, telling him he did all he could. But he didn't even know where she was. Pallas had told him that Cynara was compromised while they were in the arena—that they secured Mags and Annie afterward. Fear erupted in his chest. Cold and paralyzing.

A medic held his wrist, taking his elevating heart rate. He couldn't stand the feeling of them touching him, so he shook them off. "Stop—get off me!"

Haymitch signaled to the medic that it was okay. "Let him breathe a little."

Finnick scoffed as he glared at Haymitch. "Where is Annie and Mags," he demanded. "Pallas told me Cynara was compromised, that Snow got them. Did you get them out?"

Haymitch pressed his lips together.

"Haymitch," Finnick gritted out.

"We don't know," he said finally, "we couldn't reach them. We won't know if the other team got them or Effie out in time until we get to Thirteen."

Finnick was glad for being strapped down to the chair, or he would've collapsed right then and there. This was not the plan. Pallas and he were both supposed to make it out of that fucking arena. They were supposed to bring Katniss and Peeta to District Thirteen with Beetee and Johanna, and Mags and Annie were supposed to be safely waiting for them when they arrived.