• ix •

❝you hate me now, but you'll get over it eventually.

theo raeken, teen wolf

I sat at the dining table with Finnick, Mags, Annie, Ines, Aquellius, and Cynara. Training hours had passed a lot faster than I had anticipated--probably because I was a mess when it came to understanding Peeta's smart camouflaging techniques. Hunting something? I'm your girl. Hand-to-hand combat? Give me a call. Tribute and victor? Apparently go ahead and reap my name. 

Paint brushes are so . . . light, requiring a gentle hold. I have to admit, it's impressive how steady Peeta's hand was. And along with his generally extensive knowledge about the correct plants for rashes and that are safe to spread on skin. Something told me it had to do a little with Katniss Everdeen, seeing from the wistful expression on his face. I didn't comment.

Later, at the dining table, Ines, Finnick, and Aquellius chatted randomly. I was never one for small talk--didn't understand it, really.

"So how was training today?" Cynara asked cheerily. She sipped on her champagne glass generously, oblivious to everything.

"Great," Finnick said. I stayed silent, swishing my soup back and forth with my spoon. "There were more people than yesterday, so there were more opportunities to make allies."

She directed her gaze at me. "And what about you, Pallas?"

"Fine," I mumbled.

"Nothing else?" Cynara pressed, unsatisfied.

"Nope." I popped the p. It was clear I didn't want to explain any further, but Cynara's never been the sympathetic type.

The neon green wig on her head wiggled as she shook her head. Dabbing her neon green lips with her silk napkin, she sighed. "If only you were more like your brother. Lucas was much more well mannered than you."

Everyone froze what they were doing.

My chest seized as my gaze sharpened onto the silver glint of my fork. Finnick cast Cynara a small glare—the most impolite thing he'd ever done to the lady. After a long three seconds of silence, Aquellius excused himself quietly. I watched him leave, feeling something out of pity for the man. Aquellius was Lucas's stylist when he was reaped. Finnick told me how attached Aquellius had gotten to my brother when I first met him. And Finnick said Lucas trusted Aquellius. It's probably the only reason I tolerated the stylist to the best of my ability.

"May I speak with you in private?" I asked--although it was more of an order.

Finnick leaned toward me in warning. "Pallas . . ."

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I just want to talk. That's all." 

Cynara pursed her lips and set her silk napkin on the table. "Alright then." She strutted in her over the top neon heels over to the nearest bathroom without waiting for me.

I followed after her, making sure to lock the door behind me. Cynara already turned the sink faucet on at full power.

"You need to calm yourself," she snapped in a low tone. Her demeanor caught me off guard for a moment, blinking widely. It's as if a switch went off in her brain. I had never heard her speak in any way other than her high, perky voice; her eyes narrowed, scrutinizing me in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable way. But I held my ground, jaw clenched. "Just because the Avoxes aren't in the room doesn't mean they're not listening. They're always listening."

"I'm not the one who needs to watch their self," I said, not skipping a beat. I glared back at her. "I don't care if where your loyalties lie, Cynara," I was careful to specifically say the rebellion, despite the loud faucet; we couldn't trust that the Capitol didn't bug the bathroom either, "don't. ever. use my brother's name for your entertainment or judgement."

"Look, I'm sorry, but we need to keep up appearances. You're special sensitivity to certain subjects don't matter here. I call the shots here." Cynara whispered lowly.

I turned off the faucet. And unlocked the door. "It's a promise. Don't think you're valuable, Cynara. Everyone's replaceable. Even during times like these." 

• • •

long time no see :) this scene was pretty hard to write, which is why it took so long. i'm beginning to write the next chapter, which i'm super duper happy about because it'll have some pallness fluff and the beginnings of the interviews so keep a look out !!

tbh i just want to get to the games already, but i have to put some of this stuff in *sniff*