• iii •

❝i'm not sure anyone knows what they're looking for until they find it.❞

eadlyn schreave, the heir

Finnick and I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone. I wasn't too devastated. I didn't really have any friends after my brother died. Then after the Games and my mom I ended up only spending time with Mags, Annie, and Finnick. And they were all here with me.

Annie and Mags were our mentors for these Games. Not that there was really much to be mentored about. Carl was supposed to come but he had just come from a boat accident and the wheelchair would be a distraction. At least, that's what we were able to convince the mayor and the peacekeepers of.

"So, here we are. Again," Finnick stated, breaking the silence. We all sat in the lounge car, a bright blue silk seat each. I wanted to tear my scythe into my silk chair, for I was angry as hell.

"What did you do. Why did you volunteer?" I glared at him. I knew that there was a 50/50 chance of him getting picked but he had volunteered.

"I wasn't ever going to let you go into that arena alone, Pallas. You would've done the same too," Finnick said firmly.

I huffed, realizing that arguing wasn't going to anywhere. "I know."

"I wish neither of you would be going into that arena," Annie whispered. 

Annie was twenty-one. My brother would've been the same age he was alive. And Annie and he were so alike. He wasn't the fighter type. That's what I told the audience when my mom an I were interviewed by Caesar. I guess that's why I was so protective of Annie. Annie was just like Lucas.

I reached for Annie's hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "We'll be fine, Annie. I promise."

Finnick grabbed both of Annie's hands and a kissed her forehead lovingly. "Listen to what Pallas is saying. We'll be fine. We've been training for this from the moment the Quarter Quell was announced."

Mags looked at us regretfully, more specifically me. You were planning on it being you all this time weren't you? You were always going to be the tribute from District Four?

"Yes." I hesitantly looked at Annie before continuing. "Neither of you is fit--are as fit as me for the arena. I've been training a long time now, long before the Quarter Quell. Something's happening. And I needed to be ready to protect my family."

"Um, me too," Finnick jumped in. "It's not just Pallas's responsibility but mine too. We'll be okay, Annie, Mags. We'll be fine as long as we have you guys here with us."

"Look at me, being protected by a man and a fifteen-year-old. I'm twenty-one! I should be able to handle myself," Annie said, her voice raising significantly, "but the thought of being back in the arena . . ."

When she started shaking I suggested we all get some sleep. Finnick led Annie to her room and I lead Mags to hers. Finnick and Annie were in opposite cars from us so we said our goodnights and headed to bed.

"Goodnight, Mags," I hugged her, "Sweet--"

She squeezed my wrist tightly. Her eyes held alarm and the message was clear as day. They're watching. I froze, nodding ever so slightly, and for a second I actually let the fear set in my eyes. I was scared.

Mags noticed and signed to me, I'll be here, no matter what, okay? Your family's here with you.

"I know."