• ii •

❝the best people all have some kind of scar.❞

america singer, the selection

I woke up at six in the morning on the day of the Reaping. I made sure to get a good amount of sleep. Being sleep deprived wouldn't be helping anyone. I started to get dressed at half past six. My maroon long maroon skirt and white collared blouse were neatly pressed and hung on my wardrobe. Silently, as to not wake Mags or Annie, I slipped into my Reaping outfit and twisted the top half of my hair into an half-up-half-down style. I put on the bare amount of makeup before walking downstairs to make breakfast for everyone.

Finnick would be coming to eat breakfast with us at eight, two hours before the Reaping. I promised Mags and Annie I would wake them up at seven-thirty for breakfast and in time to get dressed. The three victors of the district all live together in a single house, which is for the best I think. None of us have any family that's alive anymore.

My mother was a victor of District Four, but she died a year after I won my Games. It was maybe a month before the Reaping of the 74th Hunger Games. After that Annie and Mags moved in with me. The three of us agreed that it was for the best. Mags was a kind old lady and seeing as old as she was already, it was only fitting that she didn't live alone. If she didn't move in with me Finnick would've probably made her live with him.

And Annie's severe PTSD wasn't something to be left alone. She wouldn't tell anyone what happened when it came down to her and the last tribute in the arena and Finnick wanted her to be as close to him as possible so she moved in with me, too. Finnick lived alone in his own house right next to ours. He's a total helicopter boyfriend to Annie but it was actually so sweet it was sickening.

Victor's Village was a beach villa type of neighborhood. We got more of the resort lifestyle than a natural lifestyle. I'm a pescetarian, which means that I eat seafood but that's as far as I go when it comes to living animal flesh. We just eat fruit and vegetables and seafood.

Which was exactly what we were having today for breakfast. I cut up some fruits and made a fruit salad for Annie and I and flipped a few pancakes for Mags and Finnick (for an eighty-year-old woman she had the appetite of a teenager).

The alarm I set to wake up Mags and Annie went off, and I made sure to turn of the stove and clean the dishes before it was actually seven-thirty. I skirted upstairs and knocked on the first door, which was Annie's. I pushed the door a crack, knowing that she never fully closed her door.

"Annie?" I peeked inside her room. For once, she was sleeping peacefully on her side; I had expected to be in the middle of a nightmare. So I decided to let her sleep in a bit more. But before leaving, I set up her reaping outfit--similar to mine: skirt, blouse and a cardigan for her.

I made sure to open a layer of the pastel curtains because the light always made her more peaceful in her sleep. She didn't get much of that for so long already.

Next, I went to Mags, which is right across from my door. I knocked on her door. This time, Mags opened the door, and I found her fully dressed already in her blue dress. Her crazy gray hair had been tamed slightly. And a blue seashell on a cord sat at her collarbone. It was Mags token from her Games.

"I see you're already up and at 'em. Breakfast is downstairs if you want, Mags," I said kindly and slightly amused. "Unless you want to wait, Finnick's coming soon."

Mags gifted me with a comforting smile. I swallowed the lump in my throat. This might very well be the last time I see Mags. She was the one who helped me grieve my mother's death. I would probably be close to Annie's state if it wasn't for Mags, and Finnick I guess.