Loki: Past regrets

Man I haven't posted in this one in a while. This didn't really fit my other fic book and yes its super angsty and kinda sad. I originally wrote this for a friend but she loves it so much she told me to share it with all of you. So enjoy.

—-

Loki glowered at the dishes in the sink, as if they had personally wronged him in some way. They were old and not the best but they hadn't had much in way of finds time but new ones. Oh how the mighty had fallen on that front, a small house just outside Central Park. It was humble, clean but small. Loki looked back into the small living room where Zach was. The boy was maybe 8 or 9, was at the coffee table with the most focused look on a child Loki had ever seen.

It was two years ago that Loki had stumbled not just into the boys life but his mother. His father, if he could be called that, had decided that a worthy punishment for the god of mischief was to live a life as a mortal. As a simple man with simply manly problems, stupid if you asked I him. So he had been dropped in New York with nothing and no one and no powers and had somehow stumbled here.

Johanna, or Jo as she preferred to be called was a wild women. She was fierce as a tiger and just as lethal in her human way. Loki had met her when a man had been harassing her. He had planned on stepping away and avoiding the confrontation but he...he hadn't been able to. He had stormed up to the filthy excuse of a human man and grabbed his shoulder yanking him off of her. The guy had pushed Loki, just as the former god had been about to floor the mortal. Johanna had for him, she had laid out the man with one punch. Her teeth barred, her dark hair falling out of her bun as she cursed the man out.

Loki would later tell her that was the moment he was so completely taken with her. This human, so small in the universe but with a warriors heart and a lions spirit. She had eyes him before she had kinda smiled at him and had thanked him for the assist. Somehow that day she had walked with him as she had 'allowed' him to walk her home. He hadn't doubted it and didn't want to test her temper. He might not have had his powers but he was still a warrior himself and he still wasn't human and was a bit stronger than a human man.

That had been when he had met 5-6 year old Zach. The boy had his mother's hair and eyes, both of them a golden amber like the most beautiful stone. The boy had glowered up at him with distaste as he had pulled on his mother's hand. She lived in this apartment that was just one room, a tiny kitchen smooshed into this even tinier living space. Just a made mattress on the floor and a radio, he had been...shocked at how small it was.

Winning her affection had been a feat indeed, he had worked at the same restaurant as her. She was a waitress and he got the job of a bus boy. It had taken her 2 months to learn he wasn't living anywhere and was washing in the local YMCA before he worked. Somehow she had made a deal with him to stay at her place. It had started as a sleeping bag on the floor as Zach and her shared the bed. As time slipped by he found that he became more and more enraptured by her.

She was beautiful, so beautiful but it wasn't her outward beauty that transfixed him. It was her fighting spirit, she worked herself into the ground to pay for Zach's daycare and rent and food. It had taken 8 arguments for Loki to convince her to let him help. Loki had worked his way up to bartender and he was very good at it. Drinks were easy and getting people to buy more was even easier.

Jo claimed he used his manly whiles to seduce unwitting souls. If only she knew how much that was true, he had met her toxic ex more than once and the night that had been the most frightened had been when the man showed up drunk to try and take Zach. Loki had never felt such wrath for a person then in that moment. Zach had been clinging to his leg as the screaming had woken Loki from his rest. It was the middle of the night, Loki had lifted the boy into his arms and had been so taken aback when the child had wrapped his arms around his neck in a vice like grip. Pressing his small face as hard as he could into Loki's shoulder. A primal protective nature blooming in his chest at the child's fright.