Reasoning with Tony Stark

"The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward"
Steve Maraboli
____________________________________
"I don't get it." Bruce looked up from his work bench to see Tony looking across at him. One of the things Bruce had learned from working with the man was that Tony normally started harder conversations with a question. More or less opening the door that you had to choose to walk through. But Bruce had an idea what this conversation was about, he had been waiting for the last week for it.

"Don't get what Tony?" Bruce sat back in his chair pushing his glasses back into place. He watched as his friend started moving things around on his bench. Tony, an ever moving person unable to sit still during the hard conversation.

"Why he is so adamant on him being here." The he and him in this equation was Steve and Bucky. Bruce was also ready for this conversation h had been prepared for it. He had seen Barnes first hand, seen the complete terror in his eyes when even in his pain addled mind had seen Bruce in a lab coat. Perhaps it was because Bruce had so much trauma he could pick up on it. Maybe it was something else but he hadn't thought twice as he had shed his white coat leaving him in the bright yellow shirt Tony had given him as a gag.

"I don't think it's so far fetched that he would, he wants to help him. Bucky is his friend." Tony snorted, Bruce wasn't looking right at him. He was still working but watching Tony out of the corner of his eye. He had to let Tony get this off his chest, to work through what he was feeling.

"He's a killer, he almost killed him you didn't see him after he fell off that carrier Bruce. I did it's a wonder his neck didn't break." The bitterness in his tone brought a warmth in Bruce. Because Tony cared and a lot of the time he didn't know how to say he cared so he tried to fix it or defend it. He cared about Steve, he saw them as friends and the thought of Barnes hurting him again made Tony angry.

"I don't think it's so black and white Tony, it isn't so simple." Tony glowered at that as he strode over to where Bruce was.

"He's killed people A LOT of people, not limited to my parents." Bruce didn't look up when he spoke again, he was going to have to play this carefully.

"I've killed people Tony, might not have been your parents but I'm sure it was someone's."

"That's different you weren't in control-"

"Because Sargent Barnes was? He chose to become what he did?" Tony looked even more annoyed at that.

"That's- that's not the same thing, you're was an accident-"

"Unless Steve threw him from that train his was too."

"Yours had involvement, science-"

"Of trying to create the same super soldier serum that made Steve. Just like Barnes." Tony sat right in front of him, that look in his eye made Bruce set his things down and give him his full attention.

"Why are you so hell bent on defending him?" Bruce sipped from his tea before answered making Tony wait.

"I'm surprised you don't." That made Tony look even more shocked, it was rare that Bruce caught him completely off guard.

"Why would I defend that guy, again killed my parents." Bruce cleaned his glasses and answered calmly.

"Tony, you were held captive by radicals and terrorists. They added to your body without concern they tortured you, all to get what they want. Did whatever they could to break you into submission. You got lucky and had help to get free, you've told me that yourself. Barnes didn't have that, he was alone and had science of mad men and no hope for escape. I looked at the tapes he fought them for 3 years before they broke him completely. Honestly I think his mind still fought, why they had to keep wiping his mind. The longer he was thawed out the more defiant he would become. Now I'm not saying you don't have a right to be angry, of course you do. But look around, Clint and Natasha have killed people I've killed people. We are all dangerous, I just think this man deserves the same grace you gave me. The second chance I needed, I thought you would get that is all." Tony was looking at him with a full shell shocked expression, Bruce waited.

Tony stood and paced a bit, "why are we friends again?" Bruce chuckled.

"Because you need someone logical in your life Tony, besides as for why Steve does it if it was Rhodes or Pepper or even me wouldn't you do all you could to save us?" Tony deflated, going back to his desk.

"I still don't like him."

"I know."

"And I don't trust him."

"You don't have to, as long as you trust me. Trust Steve."

"Alright alright, you win. I'll be helpful."

Bruce smiled and went back to working peacefully. From the few moments he had himself with Barnes he thought the Sargent could win Tony over eventually. The young man, yes he was young only 30 really even after all he has been through. Bucky had an eye for engineering, Steve even had said if they would've had the money and there hadn't been a war Bucky would've become one. The guy had a nack for fixing things, but either way Bruce knew this wasn't going to be easy.

Hell nothing ever was, but it was a start. And that was good enough for now.

A/N

This was just a quick train of thought, I am of the firm belief if Bruce had been around civil war wouldn't have been such a huge problem. The man is too sensible, more over he wouldn't have signed the accords because he would NEVER give any government control of the hulk.

We all need that friend who loves us and will call us on our bullshit. Bruce is that friend, while also being able to do it kindly.

Hope you all enjoyed

Natasha