chapter 14: jake

Holy fucking god.
Had that really just happened? No way... he must be dreaming.
He watched her walk down the hall and back to whatever class she was supposed to be in.
She was his miracle girl, everything he wanted and more.
He was buzzing. He felt electric. He felt like he could do anything and everything. He took the stairs two at a time, hoisting himself onto the second floor.
Then, not even thinking twice he took down the hallway, running as fast as he could. He felt the rush of air in his ears as he turned with the hallway, running past the art room and the music room, and dashing past the library.
He reached the end of the hallway and slowed down, taking the flight of stairs down. He was panting hard, so he stopped by the water fountain to get a quick drink.
He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and turned around to head back to his classroom when all of a sudden there was a girl right in front of him. She was wearing a cropped tank top and ripped jeans, and her straight brown hair had blonde highlights in it.
Sofia.
And that's when it struck him; he hadn't seen her in an entire week...
Which could've contributed to his excellent mood.
"Jake! Omg hi!"
Did she actually just say "omg"?
"Jake did you see my Insta post??"
He couldn't believe her.
"Sofia." He said, his voice steely.
"Jake how are you?" She asked, flipping her hair. The gesture reminded him of what kind of girl she was. She would never change. Mikaela was the opposite. She was the kind of girl he wanted to be with, not Sofia, who would drop him like a hot potato as soon as she got bored. He had no patience for her any longer.
"Sofia, no." He said. And before she could say anything he turned on his heel and walked back to his classroom, head held high.

The bell finally rang for lunch And kids were flooding the hallway.
Jake opened his locker and grabbed the paper bag that contained his lunch and dashed to the cafeteria.
"WALKING!" A teacher called after him.
"Sorry!" He said over his shoulder, changing his run to a speed walk. He got to his normal table and sat down.
Ethan sat next to him. "Jake! Hey man where were you all of math?" He laughed loudly. The other regulars starting sitting down all around them.
"Making out with Mikaela." Jake said breathlessly, keeping his eyes trained on the entrance, waiting for her to walk in.
"WHAT!?" Ethan bellowed loudly.
There she was, in all her beauty. She walked in and looked around, then she spotted Jake. The two made eye contact.
"Bye Ethan." Jake said absent mindedly, standing up, eyes still trained on Mikaela.
"Jake WHAT?" Ethan called after Jake. Jake ignored him. He felt like they were in a romcom. Everyone around them disappeared, and it was just Mikaela and him. She stood in the entrance as he kept walking to her.
"Hey." She said, quietly.
All he did was look into her eyes. It was hard to believe he managed to get a girl this perfect.
He reached out and grabbed her hand, surprised that no one in the entire packed cafeteria noticed, and led her out.
"Jake um... here come with me" Mikaela said, letting go of his hand. His heart sunk and his stomach twisted. Was this when she told him she made a mistake earlier today?
She walked down the hall and went up the flight of stairs. Jake followed in suit.
They reached the second floor of the school, and Mikaela turned left and walked right into the art room. Jake walked in cautiously, looking around.
Empty. But the expression on Mikaela's face was... not the kind that made him think he would get a repeat of what happened earlier.
"So..." she started. "I uh... you're um... this is embarrassing..." she muttered. He felt a little piece of his heart chip away. Of course; it was too good to be true.
"This is my first relationship and I know this isn't your first but-"
"Wait" he interrupted her. "So... you're not breaking up with me before I even ask you out?"
She looked at him as if he had three heads.
"Jake... no way." She said, astonished he would even ask such a thing.
He found it comforting that she found the idea so preposterous and relief flooded through him.
"You're... you just wanted to talk cause this is your first relationship?" He asked. She nodded.
He took a step closer.
"Mikaela, I don't care if this is your first relationship or your tenth relationship what matters is that what we have is a relationship." He said honestly, looking into her brown eyes. Her bangs were getting kind of long and they were just touching her lashes.
And without warning she attached herself to him, her arms around his neck and her face was buried in his hoodie. He hugged her back, not wanting to let her go. He breathed her sweet summer smell and stroked her soft hair. He really couldn't believe she was his...
Almost.
"Mikaela?" He asked. She looked up, resting her chin on his upper chest.
"Yeah?" She asked.
He loved it when she looked up at him with doe eyes.
"Would you like to go out sometime? Tomorrow maybe?"
She smiled brightly.
"Yes." She said simply before burying her face in his hoodie again.
"You smell nice." She murmured against his chest.
'I like everything about you, Mikaela.' He thought.