a sweet sickness

-next morning-

you wake up to the smell of something cooking, which is weird since you haven't used your kitchen or even cooked anything at home. In fact, you haven't even eaten at home since moving here- you usually only eat one meal a day, and it's mostly junk food. that's probably not healthy, you think. the longer you're awake, the more you begin to remember. the date, the stars, falling asleep, driving home with Michael... Michael. I drove home with Michael. Michael is in my house. when the realization hits you tense up with anxiety. I let him stay the night- oh my god I let him sleep on my fucking bed! we met 4 days ago, he must've been so uncomfortable... you pull the blankets above your head and groan, feeling stupid and embarrassed. 

"oh, you're awake! Good morning! I wanted to make you some breakfast but I ended up just going to the bakery and buying a cake. hope you like vanilla!" you recognize Michael's voice and his cute awkward giggle. He doesn't seem uncomfortable...

"aw, thanks." you respond, sitting up. your voice sounds gravelly and sick, and you feel gross. Michael hands you a plate with a slice of cake on it and a glass of water, looking worried.

"you don't look too good y/n, are you feeling ok?" he asks. After gratefully taking the water and cake, you respond.

"Not really, I feel exhausted and icky." you respond, leaning back on the pillows as you take a sip of water. Michael sits on the side of your bed and puts his hand on your forehand, making you almost flinch. He doesn't seem to notice.

"you have a fever... Do you need to call in sick tomorrow? I can cover for you at work." he offers. you furrow your brow, feeling confused.

"Why do you care so much about me?" you ask quietly. He takes his hand off your forehead and looks down.

"I dunno, I don't want you to suffer alone, I guess." he answers, not making eye contact.

"I'm not suffering, it's just a fever. Why are you doing all this when we only met a few days ago?"

he opens his mouth to answer, then hesitates and closes it. Did I do something wrong? Was I too blunt? I just want to know why he cares. Finally, he answers.

"I never had anyone to care for me. and you just make me feel safe, I guess. you deserve it. I want to return the kindness you showed me." His words feel like a sharp sword slicing through all the walls you built around yourself, as if everything you've done in the last 5 years to hide your vulnerability from every friend, lover, and family member never even happened. you surprise both him and yourself by leaning up and gently kissing his lips. He's shocked at first, but then leans into you.

"don't get me sick, pretty girl." he murmurs as he kisses you.

you pull away from him and giggle. "So much for staying professional." He smiles at you, and giggles as well. He then cups your face with his hands and kisses you again. you reach up and put your arms around his neck, and take in everything. His lips are soft and sweet, and he tastes like drugstore cherry chapstick. generic, sure, but it suits him perfectly, and you love it. the moment doesn't last, and after a while he pulls away from you.

"You need to get some rest, I'm worried about you." Michael says before kissing your forehead and leaning back. you want to protest, but truthfully you feel miserable, so you simply nod your head and go back to sleep. as you doze off, he strokes your hair and takes your hand in his, holding it gently. you then fall into a warm, yet dreamless sleep.

When you next wake, your clock says it's 3 in the afternoon. you feel slightly better, but you're extremely thirsty. you get out of bed and wrap a blanket around yourself, then head into the kitchen. you finish the slice of cake Michael gave you earlier, then have a couple glasses of water. you make yourself a sandwich and are able to eat half of it before you begin to feel sick again. Michael is nowhere to be found, so you go back to bed. He's got a life, he can't sit around in my apartment all day while I just sleep. Before you crawl back under the covers, you see a piece of notebook paper left on your nightstand. it's a note.