catching up

by the time you woke up, Michael was gone and you could hear the shower running. it took a moment to get oriented to your surroundings, but soon you were able to remember last night.
you look around Michael's room and observe his decor- while most of the house is plain and simplistic, his room looks as if it hadn't changed since Michael was a teenager. 

there were band posters covering two walls, magazines books and his  pack of cigarettes in a messy pile on the nightstand, and a guitar sitting in the corner. it looks like a telecaster, he must really like music.

you look around for your phone, then remember it's still in the guest bedroom. with a sigh, you get out of bed and walk across the hall. your phone is charging by the bed, and you unplug it to see a few texts from Iris but no other notifications.

Iris: didn't see you at work today, you good?

Iris: if ur abandoning me bc ur sick again istg

Iris: Vinny says ur too busy pegging Michael to come in today or text me back (understandable) but u better tell me what's happening eventually

you sigh after reading her most recent text, feeling a mix of emotions. you're relieved she isn't mad at you for ghosting her, annoyed that 'vinny,' who you can assume is Vincent said something like that, and you feel tired overall. maybe getting blackout drunk on a Wednesday isn't a good idea after all.

you then remember the overnight bag you left in Michael's car, and quickly run out of the house to grab your uniform from it. you rush back inside, not wanting anyone to see you rummaging through someone else's car looking for clothes, and then head back upstairs to Michael's room.
just as you lay your uniform out on the bed, the bathroom door opens to reveal Michael wearing nothing but a towel around his waist. his normally fluffy hair is slick with water that drips down his back and chest. shit, I'm staring! as long as he didn't notice, right? you look up to his face to see a smirk on his lips.

he noticed.

"anyone ever tell you it's rude to stare?" he teases, making you blush.

"whatever, british boy. move so I can shower." you quip back, hoping your snarky comment will distract from the blush creeping onto your face. he chuckles and just barely moves out of your way, still blocking most of the doorway. to get into the bathroom you have to squeeze past his body, which is a bit too intimate for your comfort at 7 in the morning. that motherfucker, he knows the effect he has on me.

you make it into the bathroom and playfully shove him the rest of the way out and shut the door. since it's early enough in the morning and you're not in any rush, you decide it'll be okay to take a longer shower. still conscientious of the house (and therefore bills) not being yours, you didn't make the water as scalding hot as you usually liked it.

after a refreshing 30 minute shower, you throw on the uniform and dry your hair before leaving th bathroom. Michael isn't anywhere to be seen, so you go downstairs assuming he must be there.

this time, you find him in the kitchen making pancakes. he isn't in uniform yet, and is instead wearing a tight white tank top and jeans. I'm not going to stare I'm not going to state I'm not goin- fuck.

"I'm going to assume you love pancakes sooooo much you just can't take your eyes off the skillet." he teases with a smirk and you scrunch up your face in embarrassment as well as mentally facepalming.

"seriously darling, twice in one morning? I know I'm not half-bad but this isn't good for my ego." Michael coos as he puts a few pancakes on a plate and hands them to you.

"yeah, alright. nice wifebeater, Dally Winston. all you need is a leather jacket and you can be a West Side Story star." you quip back and he laughs.

you eat your pancakes quickly, as they're surprisingly good.

"I didn't know you could good." you comment between bites.

"they're pancakes, y/n. easiest thing in the book. trust me- I have had many needs for a fire extinguisher in this kitchen." he responds with a nervous laugh.

"burn down as many kitchens as you need to, these are the best pancakes I've ever had." you say after finishing your plate, and he gives you a genuine smile.

"thanks, that's really sweet of you..." he replies quietly. after a minute, he asks a question. "is that the same uniform you've worn all week?"

"uh, yes? I only have the one."

"sorry, I would've washed it for you if I had known," he responds apologetically, but you cut him off.

"it's fine, I can manage!"

"no really, take my spare one. the pants might be a tad big but its better than wearing a dirty one." before you have time to argue, he walks into the laundry room and pulls some clothes out, dumps them into your arms and pushes you towards the stairs.

"I guess I can argue with you on this one, huh?" you say as you walk back upstairs.

"that's correct." he responds from the kitchen, making you roll your eyes.
still, you put on the uniform and it fit surprisingly well- you cuffed the pant legs and used a belt to keep them up, and sure the shirt sleeves were a bit baggy and long, but it fit. plus it smells like his shitty cologne, so I'll wear it!

he drives you into work and you walk in with him, but go your separate ways once in the building. you need to get up to the security office, but first you owe someone in the kitchen a visit.

"Iris- you here yet?" you call into the large room. soon after, her head pops up from a counter and she runs towards you.

"y/n! where did you go? you have so much to fill in, let's go to your office. is that someone else's shirt?" her peppy attitude brings a smile to your face and you try to keep up with her questions on the walk to your room. she practically leads the way and you just smile and nod your head, but she soon tires of your short, simple answers.

"come on, I know somethings going on! just give me the story!" she whines as you sit in your chair and she sits in the spare one next to you.

"okay, okay. where do I begin? it's been a while since we last spoke."

"ugh, you're right! tell you what- on Saturday, we meet up and have a girls day and catch up on everything. it's hard to talk during lunch breaks, y'know?"

you nod 'yes'.

"oh! and you have to meet Julie, since we're official. all three of us have to go out this weekend!"

"no way, y'all are dating? that's amazing!" you squeal.

"tell me about it! she is so out of my league, dude."

the two of you keep talking well into your shift, and eventually you explain your whole situation to her- everything from sharing a hallucination with Vincent to getting drunk with Michael. Iris remains surprisingly calm when you tell her about the ghost, and it turns out Vincent told her about what happened that night.

"it sounded terrifying, I'm glad you're not too shaken over it." she says.

"yeah, I'm trying not to think too much about it. it's been giving me nightmares, but other than that I'm holding up!" now she nods, and the conversation continues until a buzz from her walkie-talkie makes her groan.

"god, I hate the kitchen staff! I gotta get back to work, but I'll see you later! bye y/n!" 

you wave as she leaves, then lean back in your chair with a sigh. unfortunately, she's right. I need to get to work too.

a/n: i wrote this while fighting off sleep so if it's terrible you know why

word count: 1314