One And Only- T.R.

Description: A story based on the song "one and only" by Adele 

Word count: 1.3k

It starts with a letter.

Over the summer months, Tom had ran through Y/N's head all day. She contemplated her feelings for him more and more every day. The more she did, the more she realized how much she loved him. They basically grew up with each other, navigating the world together.

She thought about every outcome of telling him, some good some bad. She had been scared for so long, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of losing her only true friend. Doubt floods her brain when she finally convinces herself to tell him. 

The day before she was to leave for king cross. She sat down at her desk in her room, pulling out a piece of parchment and her favorite pen. She had to get this off her mind, and she had to do it now. Playing with the pen while she thought of the right words

Tom,

Over the summer, I have only had one thing on my mind.

you.

The past few years have been more than I could've ever asked for. Our friendship is the most important thing in my life. But I have grown to realize, It is more than friendship that I want.

You are the first thing on my mind when I wake up, and the last thing before I sleep.

I've felt like this for quite some time, and I think you have too. All the small moments we've shared, the late-night adventures, the stolen looks, sharing secrets, the list goes on. You can't tell me you didn't feel anything.

There were many times I thought you were going to make a move, but didn't. I would get sad but I didn't do anything about it so that's on me. We've been doing this dance for so long Tom. 

I'll get to the point now.

I love you, Tom.

If I'm wrong and you don't feel the same, I hope this doesn't change us too much.

Love always,

Y/N

Rereading the letter, she folds it and puts it into an envelope. Sealing the letter, addressing it to Tom, walking up to her owl's cage. Opening it giving him the letter,

"You know where it goes" She pets the bird before it flys out of the bedroom window

-

The next morning, she woke up nervous. She never got a response yesterday. She anxiously got ready for her day, She would see Tom soon enough. 

Time went by faster than she'd like, right now she was standing on platform 9 3/4, crowds of people all around her as she pushes her cart towards the train. She was so focused on getting on the train she didn't hear her name being called.

"Y/N, Y/N" A hand grabbed her shoulder firmly making her turn around facing the culprit. 

Tom.

"Tom, oh hey" she said trying not to show her nervousness

"Hey, can we talk?" He awkwardly smiled

"Yeah of course" 

They made their way onto the train, finding the nearest empty compartment. They settled in, sitting across from each other. Muffled sounds from outside filled the silence. Staring into each other's eyes waiting for someone to say something.

"I got your letter" Tom started, not breaking eye contact

"What did you think of it?" she swallowed

He paused for a moment to think of a response, "Honestly, I'm not so sure we would be a good idea"