your name. [ roronoa zoro ]

"roronoa zoro."

he cracks an eye open and glances at you.

"roronoa. zoro."

a frown. "what?"

"zoro roronoa," a pause. "ro-ro-no-a zoro."

"why d'you keep repeating my name like that?!" he spits.

you don't bother turning to look at him, tucking your knees further into your chest as you peer out the window of the crow's nest. it's only you two up here, as you prefer sitting with him in the later hours of the day to wind down. he's peaceful, though it's not completely quiet, the chatter of your crewmates drifting up the ladder like the summer breeze. "it's pretty."

zoro freezes. that's the last thing he expected you to say. his cheeks are burning and suddenly he's happy you're not looking at him. "what do you mean 'it's pretty?'"

a shrug. he thinks your side profile looks nice with your hair tied back like that. "you know how some names and words are really pleasing to the ear, like 'ethereal' or 'exquisite'? that's what yours is like. it rolls off the tongue nicely."

he doesn't know what to say. he's not used to being complimented unless it's about his combat skills or swordsmen ship, but never his name . it's something he's never considered being pretty or nice, always just a title that he's recognized by. a name that's always stirred up fear and anxiety, never joy . it's only when it comes from your lips he realizes it does sound nice, though he knows it's the way you roll your r's, or how your lips curl around the syllables to make it sound so delicate and elegant.

"well," he clears his throat, and although you're not looking at him he tries to hide his pink cheeks below the collar of his shirt. "thank you... i guess."

you laugh, the sound bouncing off the tall walls before peering over your shoulder, eyes meeting his. his breath catches in his throat when they lock, the amber dusk falling over the sky as the sun dips into the horizon. the light catches your face perfectly, an almost angelic halo falling over you. you grin, and your smile almost seems like it's illuminating the room more than the natural sunlight. before you speak, your eyes twinkle in a way he hopes he's the only one who'll ever see them shine like that.

"you should be thankful to have such a pretty name, roronoa zoro. it's rare you come across something so beautiful."