coherence. [ roronoa zoro ]

you prefer days like these.

it's not too hot, but warm enough where lounging under the sun won't cause sweat to drip down your skin. things are quiet on the ship for once, not in an eerie way where it seems something's out of place. it's a day of relaxation, and the crew takes full advantage of it.

you've grown to love the crow's nest; isolated from your rambunctious friends and nestled between quiet walls that only let the gentle sounds of the grand line below seep through the cracked windows. the sway of the ocean slowly lulls you from below, its salty perfume filling the room. the book in your hand is finally getting interesting, an excited flip of a page as soon as you finish the last sentence.

the peaceful atmosphere you've adapted to is interrupted as the hatch swings open, banging against the wall. you don't need to look who it is, merely scowling at his rude entrance into your book. the lock clicks and boots thump against the wood in the corner of the room before it creaks under his weight, heavy footsteps growing closer to you in long strides.

a tap on your knee. "hey."

you look up and almost laugh. he's pouting . "can i help you?"

zoro frowns, then proceeds to clap his hands together, elbows knocking. he spreads them apart, then points to your face, then your legs. you snort, wedging your thumb between your book to mark your page before spreading your legs. child .

he seems to smile, plopping on the floor where your legs once were. his heavy body falls back against yours and he adjusts, shuffling down so the back of his head rests on your lower abdomen. large hands curl around your thighs, closing them around his shoulders, and he sighs contently.

you readjust your back against the front of the bench you're perched against. "is that all you wanted?"

zoro tilts his head back to glare at you, lips tucking to the side in a kiddish scowl. "well, yeah. is that an issue?"

you mirror his expression as you hold up your book in response. he scoffs, pairing it with an exaggerated eye roll.

"i think i'm more important than a book."

grimacing, you shrug. "that's debatable. books can form coherent sentences on paper. you, my friend, cannot."

this time he truly frowns, pinching your thigh in response. he turns his head from yours, focusing his gaze out the window as he mutters, "i can write coherent sentences."

"really? i'd like to see it, please," you counter, amusement heavy in your voice.

he sighs, tightening his grip around your thighs and you pretend your pulse doesn't jump. "listen, i came up here to relax with my amazing girlfriend, not get literacy tested. now if you would mind shutting up i would greatly appreciate that."

patting his head, you end your conversation there. the bottom of your book brushes his hair as you flip it open, resuming your reading. his weight is comforting, the gentle pressure of his thumbs drawing circles on the top of your thighs lulling you into a deeper state of tranquility. you like this-- just you and him, each other's company, no one else.

it's a bit before you grow bored of your book, folding the corner and snapping in closed, resting it on the bench beside your head. your hands gravitate towards his hair, nails grazing over his scalp and dancing through tufts of green hair in a way that draws a happy him from his chest, his grin felt as it flexes against your thigh.

"are the coherent sentences not enough for you anymore?" zoro finally mutters.

your hand stops, only to gently slap his shoulder. "did you have to say something? we were having a moment!"

he laughs, throaty and joyous, head thrown back against your stomach and eyes squeezed tight and you freeze, eyes locked on him. he's pretty like this, happy and carefree, something you don't get to see as often as you'd like. his grin spreads cheek to cheek, pearly white teeth twinkling under the sunlight that pours into the room, that pretty pink scar scrunching and you have to stop yourself from reaching out to smooth it.

his laughter subsides and his eye opens, your gaze locking. his hand reaches up, calloused fingers grazing against your skin as he cups your cheek, his warmth familiar. his thumb smooths over your cheekbone over and over as if he wants to memorize the feeling of your skin under his and keep it tucked away. you fight off the temptation to lean into his large palm, returning the frown on your face.

"you think you're so funny," you grumble.

he smirks and shrugs, his broad shoulders gliding against your clothed hips. "i am funny."

you snort, eyes rolling as your gaze redirects towards the window. "yeah, okay,"

a thumb slides under your chin and your heads forced downwards, a hand slipping against the nape of your neck. your noses graze, a dark eye boring into yours and your pulse jumps, mouth running dry. his tongue pokes out from between his lips, gliding over the plump pink in a hypnotizing manner that has you following its movements until his lips curl up in a sultry smirk.

"don't lie," you can feel his voice, the baritone dragging chills up your spine. "you know i don't like liars."

you don't have time to respond before he seals his lips against yours, words sputtering into thin air. it's gentle, gliding against your mouth with ease and excellence. you feel like you're floating, zeroing in on how nice it feels, a hand dipping to angle his chin upwards. he hums and you shiver, echoing through your body and vibrating against your tongue.

he pulls away, that stupid, lazy grin resting on his handsome face as he nestles his head back against your stomach.

"now, show me how good those coherent sentences you're reading are."